Agony

Scene 1:
Ren and Thyme are standing outside.
Ren: (*weeping) I am such an awful person, this happened only because of me. I am to be blamed for her condition. (*Hits himself)
Thyme: (*stops Ren) No, it was just an accident, you need to stop blaming yourself.
Ren: She'll never forgive me. And why does she have to? I am her criminal (*kneels down crying)
(*Thyme hugs him)
Doctor comes with MJ and Kavin.
Doctor: (*to the nurse) She'll be needing a sedative. Now she mustn't overstress, she needs rest.
Seeing the doctor, Ren and Thyme also walk in. Doctor sees Hazel's unstable condition.
Doctor: You shouldn't have stressed so much.
Nurse hands him an injection, he injects it into Hazel's arm. Hazel slowly falls asleep. Doctor: You shouldn't have told her immediately after she woke. But it's okay, she must face the reality. I've given her a sedative, she'll sleep comfortably tonight, but I think she'll have to stay here for a few days. Nurse, please take her updates every hour. (*Nurse nods)
Doctor and nurse walk away. Aum and her father sit next to Hazel's bed.
Scene 2:
Outside the patient ward,
Kavin: (*to Ren) I guess we should leave now. (*Looks at his watch) It's already 3:47 am. Phaw and I have an imp meeting with our international clients tomorrow.

 Phaw and I have an imp meeting with our international clients tomorrow

Ren: Y'all go. I shall have to stay back. Just in case they need something.
Thyme: But you can come back tomorrow.
Ren: Mai dai! I don't want to leave her like this. What if at night there's an emergency? Let me stay back. You guys have work tomorrow, you should leave.
MJ: You don't worry, I will stay back with Ren.
Ren: (*looks at him) But tomorrow you have an event, chai mai?
MJ: Chai, but I'll tell my assistant to look after it.
Kavin: Okay then, we will leave.
Scene 3:
Aum's father coughs loudly, Aum gives him some water to drink. F4 boys check on him.
Kavin: Uncle, are you fine?
Uncle: (*weeps) How can I ever be fine when this kid of mine is lying here unconscious?
Aum: Phaw, please don't overstress. P' will recuperate soon. (*wipes away his tears and checks his forehead) You seem to have fever, you should take rest. Shall I call Auntie Ubon to take you home?
Uncle: No, I will stay with my Hazel.
Aum: Don't be stubborn, phaw. If you'll fall sick, then how will I look after the two of you alone?
Uncle: I'm not sick, I'm... (*coughs)
Kavin: If you want, we can drop him on our way home.
Aum: (*disdainfully) No thanks! I will call my neighbour, she can take him home.
Thyme: At this hour of the day, you need not have to trouble others. We won't harm him.
Uncle: But I don't wanna go home!
Aum: No you'll have to take rest! But I'm definitely not sending you with these brats.
MJ: Aum, I request you, please let us take him. He looks extremely tired, we will drop him safely at your home.
Aum: I don't trust you!
MJ: You needn't have to trust me, but since you cannot go right now, let us take him. I'll  go and bring my and Ren's clothes from home. On my way, I can drop him and ask your tenant to look after him tonight.

Aum: (*in an arguing tone) And how do you know that we have a tenant? You spy on us? I won't let you take my father!Thyme: Come on, stop this fight

Thyme: Come on, stop this fight. If you don't want to let us take him, then let him stay here and suffer. We are leaving.
(*Aum looks at her father who is yawning and coughing.)
Aum: Stop! You take him home. But please, take care of him!
MJ: Don't worry, I won't break your trust. (*Looks at her affectionately, Aum too looks at his eyes but then looks away after a moment)
MJ, Kavin and Thyme walk away along with Aum's father on his wheelchair.
Scene 4:
MJ with Thyme's help makes Aum's father sit in his car. They say goodbye to each other. Kavin and Thyme drive away in another car.  MJ drives Aum's father home.
In the car,
Uncle: You are MJ, right?
MJ: (*focussing on the road) Krub!
Uncle: You were once Aum's friend but then something happened between you two, isn't it?
MJ: (*sighs) Chai, I told Aum that I am just an ordinary boy but she was hurt when she got to know about my rich family.
Uncle: She is quite gawky and very emotional. It seems she really admires your friendship but she's like a small child, if you try again you might succeed in convincing her.
MJ: I have been trying for years but still don't wanna give up.
Aum's father looks at MJ's flushed face. They reach home. MJ calls in Auntie Ubon and her son and they help him take Aum's father in. MJ hands over some money to Ubon's son and ask them to take care of Aum's father.
MJ: Please feed him something in the morning and give him his medicines properly.
Uncle: Could you come to take me to the hospital tomorrow?
MJ: Sure uncle! I will better get going now.
Uncle: Take care of my daughters please.
(*MJ nods and walks away.)
Scene 5:
MJ brings clothes and hands them over to Ren. Ren goes to the bathroom for changing clothes. Aum is seated on the attendant stool, her head resting on Hazel's bed, asleep. MJ goes sits at the end of Hazel's bed. He checks Hazel, covers her with the blanket. And then turns to Aum, tucks her hairs behind her ear and sits admiring her. Ren enters and closes the door. MJ walks up to him and they both sit on the couch. Ren rests his head back on the upholstery.
Ren: (*in a low voice) I'm responsible for her condition. How could I do this to the poor girl?
MJ: It was an accident. Now you can make amends for your mistake by taking care of her till she recovers completely.
Ren: I know she'll receive the best treatment here, we'll not charge a single penny but I'm afraid what if she doesn't get her voice back?
MJ: Ren, don't forget you own this hospital and this is the best health center in Thailand. She'll receive the best medical care and recover quickly. You can just take care of her till she's here.
(*Ren nods)
Scene 6:
Hazel is dreaming.
*Dreams*
A man enters into the house, a little child runs to hug him.
Child: Phaw!
Man: Hazel, I'm back. (*Picks her up in his arms) What did you do the whole day?
Child: I sang, and sang, and sang and, now I'm very tired.
Man: (*pampers her) Is it? Why, do you want to be a vocalist or a singer?
Child: Yes, my voice is my greatest asset!
*Reality*
Suddenly there's darkness, Hazel looks perturbed. She remembers Aum and her uncle telling her about her losing her voice, she cries in sleep and subconsciously opens her eyes and sees Ren sleeping on the couch, his soft face looks exhausted. She looks at him carefully and remembers his teary eyes that were staring at her with guilt.

*The End*