Chapter 83 - Growing apart

One month later:

Manik's P.O.V

It has been a month! A month since she left. That day, I still remember it so clearly. Our fight, the letter, her numerous missed calls, and that one message.

Flashback:

After I had left Nandini's house in anger, I went to my family farmhouse on the outskirts of Mumbai. I just wanted to be away from everything for a few hours. If I had gone home, mum and dad would've asked me millions of questions. If I had gone to any of my friends, they too would've done the same. That is why I went to my farmhouse. I needed that time to calm myself. I wanted to speak to Nandini and sort the fight out, but we were both extremely angry at that time and styaing away from each other for a day would definitely do us good. In an attempt to find my inner peace, I had switched off my mobile phone. Of course I had to inform my parents of my whereabouts, and hence I told them I had gone to Pune to visit a friend and that I would be back home the next day. After that the entire night my phone stayed switched off. As I woke up the next day, I felt a lot better. I was calm and my mind was clear. I realised Nandini was going through a rough time and I had to give her the space she wanted, but that did not mean staying away from her. I decided to head home with a fresh mine and to talk things through with Nandini. I did not want to fight with her. That was not us! I had forgotten to switch on my phone and I left for Mumbai early in the morning. However, when I got home I found all my friends at my house. Everyone except the one person I really wanted to see. Nandini! They all looked stressed out and I immediately asked them what had happened.

"Don't you know Manik?" My mum asked me.

"Know what mum?" I replied cluelessly.

"Manik, Nandini, she..." Alya tried to explain.

"She what Alya?" I asked.

"Why is your phone switched off?" Cabir asked firmly.

"That's not the point! What's happened to Nandini?" I said irritatedly.

"Switch your phone on and you'll find out!" He exclaimed.

I immediately switched my phone on to find 30 missed calls, and a message from Nandini! 30 missed calls! What had happened? I opened the messages to read them.

Manik,

Where are you? I know you're really angry at me right now! I know you don't want to talk to me right now but this is important. Manik I'm leaving! I'm leaving for London tonight! There is an emergency and I have to leave. I don't know when I'll be coming back. I really want to speak to you before I fly off to London so if you see this message soon then please ring me. I'm so sorry about my behaviour today, I was in the wrong! I don't know what had gotten into me. I shouldn't have lashed out at you like that, you were only trying to help me. I'm sorry for telling you to get out of my house, I'm sorry for shouting at you and hurting you. I'm sorry. I know my sorrys won't be enough but I promise to make it up to you once I'm back. Manan wala promise! My flight is at 11 tonight, so please ring me back if you see this before 11. I love you Manik, always!

Yours and only yours,

Nandini

"Manik, are you okay beta?" My mum asked me worriedly.

"Why did she leave? What was the emergency?" Cabir you would know right?" I loaded them with questions. I needed answers! This was all too much to take in.

"No Manik, I don't! None of us here know!" Cabir said.

"All she said when she came here to see you was that she cannot tell anybody about this!" Mum explained.