Chapter 90 - Hope is the thing with feathers

I went down to the kitchen and made coffee for me and Manik. This time I made sure it was how he liked it. Once the coffee was made, I made my way upstairs to my room. The rest of the rooms were closed, I assumed they're all resting. After all, the journey was tiring. When I got to my room, I saw Manik sat in the balcony. I approached him and sat next to him as I placed the coffee mugs on the table.

"Thank you!" He replied with a smile.

"You're welcome!" I replied.

"You were right Nandini! This place is indeed so peaceful. I could sit here all day!" He said as he took a moment to take in the beautiful greenery around us.

"Hmmm! It's my favourite spot in my room!" I replied as I took a sip of my coffee.

"I can see why! By the way, I love your room! I was looking at the picture wall you have. There's lots of childhood pictures of you there!" He said as he turned around to look at my picture wall.

"Yess! That one is a picture of the five of us. Me, Alya, Arya, Emily, Zara." I said as I pointed to a picture on the wall.

"Yai Aryaman humesha sai hi itna chipku hain?" He said as he pointed to a picture of me and Arya in which he had his hands around my shoulder. We were 8 years old back then.

"Stop it Manik! He's my best friend!" I replied.

"I thought I was?" He questioned.

"You're more than that and you know it!" I replied softly.

"What's that picture from?" He asked avoiding the topic. Awkward!

"That one is from my sports day! I came first in gymnastics and second in the long jump!" I said as I pointed to it.

"You were a very sporty person!" He exclaimed.

"Correction, I still am!" I stated.

"Oops, Sorry! You still are a sporty person!" He said with a giggle.

"Good!" I exclaimed.

"Why is that side of the wall blank?" Manik asked curiously as he pointed to the corner section that was empty. That entire wall had pictures all over it apart from one little section. I had saved that for some special photographs.

"That's a story for another day!" I replied as I took a sip of my coffee.

"Is it reserved for someone special?" He asked.

"Maybe!" I said with a smirk.

We were engrossed in our conversation when I heard a voice call out to me.

"Nandini dear, is that you?" I heard a familiar voice call out to me.

"Jane!! How are you?" I replied as I saw my neighbour calling out to me from her backyard. Jane was like a grandma figure in my life. She was the sweetest old lady I had come across. Every Christmas she would bring presents for me and Rish and bake us fresh cookies every Sunday. She was the best! I walked closer towards the balcony to get a better view of her and Manik followed.

"Oh good as ever! When did you come sweetheart? How are your parents and little Rish?" She asked with a big smile on her face.

"They're amazing! They're in India. I came today, a couple of hours ago with a group of friends!" I answered.

"Oh it's so lovely to see you pumpkin. Who's that gorgeous boy next to you?" She said with a smirk as she noticed Manik.

"Oh urm he's a friend. A very good friend!" I replied hesitantly.