Chapter 84 - Reunited, but for the worst?

So here I am at the airport with all my friends waiting for her to come out. Why do I feel so nervous? I should be happy to finally be able to see her after a whole month, but here I am taking deep breaths in an attempt to calm me down. Nandini, you bring out so many emotions in me! I was walking up and down near the waiting area for her. When will she come?

"Manik calm down! Pacing up and down won't make her come any quicker!" Cabir stated.

"I know Cabir, but I can't help it!" I said irritatedly.

"Here, have some water!" Alya said as she pulled out a water bottle from her bag.

"Thanks Alya!" I said with a slight smile.

"You're welcome!" She replied.

I took a sip of the water and automatically felt my nerves calming down. I took another sip and just as I was about to close the lid of the bottle a sight caught my eye. A petite figure walked through the double doors pushing her luggage trolley gently and trying to blow away the few hair strands that rested on her face. It is at that moment in time when I truly realised how much I've missed her. Her silky brown hair, her dark brown eyes, the chubby cheeks and the pouty lips. My Nandini, how much I've missed her. The water bottle unwillingly slipped out of my hand and broke me out of my trance. I quickly picked the bottle up and passed it to Alya.

"She's here!" I mumbled loud enough for my friends to hear. They all immediately looked towards the entrance and saw her walking out and looking around for familiar faces. They all immediately ran towards her whilst I stood still in my place. She's here, she's finally here. My eyes were still fixed on hers. I saw Cabir run up to her and take her in a hug followed by Abhi and Aryaman. Then Navya, Mukti, and Alya jumped onto her for a girly hug. She gave them all a smile and wandered around for something. Was she looking for me? What was I doing standing here? Why had I not gone up to her yet? Why do things suddenly seem so awkward? She's my Nandini, not some stranger. I decided to go towards her, I had to! I couldn't just stand here and stare. As I walked up towards her I heard Cabir speak.

"Manik he was here only, in fact he's the one that saw you first. I don't know where he disappeared!" He said as Nandini's eyes kept wandering about. She asked about me? Wait, why am I surprised? Of course she'd ask about me! I walked closer towards them and eventually her eyes met mine and multiple emotions ran through me.

"Nandini" I whispered.

"Manik" She whispered back. I wanted to take her into a hug right away, I really did! But for some reason I felt I couldn't! I couldn't get myself to hug her. What the hell is going on with me?

"How are you?" I asked.

"Good, what about you?" She said.

"Yeah I'm good too I guess!" I replied plainly.

"Manik meet Nandini, my cousin from London! And Nandini meet Manik, my best friend!" Cabir said sarcastically as he forwarded Manik's hand towards mine. We were both confused by his words and actions, in fact everyone was confused.

"Bhai?" I heard Nandini question.

"What bhai? You both are acting like complete strangers! Its giving me a deja vu of the time you came to India for the first time and me and Manik picked you up from the airport. Yes you were strangers then, but you're not strangers now! You both love each other, idiots! Is this how you greet the person you love? I swear if Navya greeted me like this after I came back from a long stay then I'd be super mad. What's wrong with you both? Hug her Manik! Now!" Cabir explained in disbelief. He was right, we were acting like strangers. Why? Why were we doing this? I decided it was best to listen to him and I slowly walked towards her. Her eyes met mine once again and I carried on walking towards her. I slowly took her into a hug. I've missed this proximity, this comfort, her warmth, I've missed it all! But for some reason the hug didn't feel the same anymore. She slowly placed her hands on my back, yet it didn't feel the same. Why? We were together, in each other's arms, but there was an unknown awkwardness surrounding us. We both knew this didn't feel the same, and we both did not have the answer as to why either. I decided to end this awkwardness and left the hug. I then proceeded to get her trolley and started to go towards the car park whilst the others followed me. Cabir, Navya, Nandini and Aryaman came in my car and Abhi, Mukti, and Alya went with Dhruv. The car ride consisted of me driving and occasionally staring at her through the rear view window. She was sat in the middle with Aryaman and Navya on her either side. She did not talk much, she just listened and nodded. She didn't seem her usual self. Maybe she was just tired. We finally reached Cabir's house, where Divyanka aunty had cooked for us all.