Chapter 27

(Please do Vote and Read)

THE DATE OR HIS WRATH

"Ma, seriously I have nothing to do with him postponing our meeting until evening. Papa already told you, he was suddenly swamped with important work in his office." Mahira justified the nth time to her mother for doubting her in Rajeev's sudden rain check.

"I don't know. I don't feel right. We could have just met at home, all the family together. " Samaira said again, Vishwanth was dead ears to the mother-daughter conversation by now.

"Seriously, I am late for school." Mahira rushed after packing her bags for school, "This isn't old days Ma, nowadays people meet at first before getting their family together. What's the use of meeting everyone if the two people who should live together for the rest of their life don't like each other." 

"But Rajeev isn't a stranger to us. He's Anusha's brother. She is your best friend" 

"Exactly, I thought you guys forgot about that important information. At first, when we denied their interest in us, I thought exactly this. Me and my best friend's brother, seriously. And for me, of course, Rajeev is a stranger. I haven't seen him since high school and as much as I know about him, he hates our village. That's the main reason he stays outside in the city alone, even though he has a nine-to-five job and a good car to drive back home." 

"Just because you like to tire yourself travelling back and forth this long, doesn't mean everybody would do that Mahira. And after marriage, things can change. If you have someone to come back to, then……."

"Ma, seriously. I am not a medicine to change anyone. This useless stereotypical thinking that marriage is the solution for everything is so stupid. And I know I am tiring myself and that all these days it was because of the village situation. Now that being cleared I am looking for another job, you already know that." 

"Enough", Vishwanath interrupted suddenly coming in between them,

"Samaira, it's enough. You are not realising that by worrying too much you are being hypocritical too. It was us who wanted her to do something for herself without thinking about us in her way. So stop." 

"You both will never understand me. I am her mother, getting her married doesn't mean I want her to go away from me. Rajeev is here only….." 

"Enough Samaira, that's you being selfish now. We can't always keep her here. She will never go away from us, but to keep her close we can't marry her with someone just because he is from our town itself. " Vishwanth said getting angry at her,

"But…"

"I said, enough", Vishwanth had to, his love for his wife was beyond what anyone could measure and he knew what Samaira was going through. The constant pressure and judgement from everyone around us sometimes makes us impulsive and reckless and makes us hurt the people we love.

Samaira left, walking away with a heavy hurt leaving him and her daughter behind; she knew that her husband was going through the same misery. That wasn't the urge to get their daughter married, she knew Mahira and her daughter aren't the ones to leave their parents behind to pursue her dreams. And Mahira wouldn't even understand that taking an effort for herself even if minutely will never cost her parents anything.

Sometimes it's difficult to let our child live like this, not ambitious enough, too kind and loving and too sacrificing. 

Everyone isn't the same, the soft-hearted kind girl who always masks her behaviour with a stern and rude face needed someone to take care of her more than they as parents could and be with her when she could finally take time to think about herself rather than caring about others.