69. Wedding, Bengali affair : Part 2

WEDDING, BENGALI AFFAIR : PART 2

The square-raised platform with four pillars and a beautiful rooftop stood tall in the middle of the huge arena.

As the evening sun sets in creating an orange-red hue and bringing darkness slowly, the golden pillars are decorated with red flower garlands and golden lights, the ceiling from which a curtain of red garlands with jasmine flowers in a set of three chains dangling down each red garlands, orange lights bulbs dangling down in between them, all together highlighted the mandap like a golden glory in the darkness.

A long chain of jasmine garlands hung from the top of the pillars, slanting down to the ground creating a ceiling of flowers around the mandap.

The long arena is divided into two sides separated by a pathway that leads to the centre of the mandap. The pink embroidered beautiful rug decorated the walkway and on its sides by highlighting lights and flower bushes.

The guests were lined up and escorted by the volunteers to fill in their respective seats. Businessmen, merchants and influential people from across the world sat on a side with their eyes curiously on each and every moment of the wedding. While the family and friends created the buzz.

Arnav sat on the small chair that he was offered in the mandap and the priest immediately started with the rituals. As the priest chanted prayers, Arnav followed by listening to each verb and trying to understand the meaning behind it.

The Groom's sisters and sister-in-law gathered along with the bride's family as they keenly listened to everything that they shall do according to Bengali traditions.

Sometime later as the family had eased into the rituals the priest slowly asked,

"It's time for the arrival of the bride",

Following an enchanting echo of the beautiful reverberating sound of conch shells filled the place.

Women dressed in bright red and white lined on the sides of the mandap and a few lined up to the sides of the bridal walkway.

Some carried plates that held betel leaves, a small burning lamp, puffed rice and kumkum. While others had conch shells in their hands.

🎶🎶…

Tumi Nirmolo koro
Mongolo kore eso
Adorer bashona, prachin e monomoy
Nityo tomar ruper jhilimili tolo
Maa, Maa go tomar choron dhore jeno
Modhu makhon bhangiye de, mayero bosiye de

🎶🎶…

The elder woman started to sing traditional Bengali folk songs, expressing joy, and blessings for the couple and celebrating the union of two families.

The men and women who sat at the very sides started playing Taanpura (a musical instrument), creating a harmonious sound and bringing a classical touch.