66. Festival

I get back to my house when I get done shopping and the woman is back with a couple other women. I put my bag on the kitchen counter.

"Did you get everything?"

"No. I only got to the soap store. It seems expensive and they had so many things. The lady kept telling me I had to have stuff."

"What did you get?"

"Some soap and a couple wash cloths. She may think I need all that other stuff but I surely can't pay for it."

One of the women smiles at me, "You have to ignore sales people. They will try to sell anything to you. Be trying to convince you that you can't live without fingernail polish or something."

They all start laughing. "That is very true Pam. One tried to convince me I needed a new hammer once. Now, why in the world would I ever need 1 of those in the first place?"

I start laughing with them.

"JUST PUT THAT IN THERE JACK." The lady smiles at me, "I got a new couch. The old couch was fine and we were storing it. I got it out of my everything room this way. It's small but something to sit on."

"Thank you."

"My pleasure. I also had a baby bed and mattress. But I don't have a bed for you."

"I don't need anything at all. Urie will be off the floor. That's all that matters."

"You'll have to save for a bed for you. I don't think any of us came up with 1 of those."

"Thank you for everything you did find. I am forever grateful. We were planning on camping in the tree's tonight. This is so much better than that. We'll be able to take a bath and have somewhere clean and dry to sleep. I couldn't dream of anything more."

"We're only glad we could help. If you need dresses, there is a shop right down the path. Turn right outside of your door. It's maybe a block down on the left. Small shop. A lady in there makes dresses out of some cute fabric. They're plain. But no real need to be fancy. They cost about half as much as all the other shops in the village."

"I'll run down there. It would be nice to have a clean dress to put on."

"She has some other things too."

"I've never been in there."

"Amazing prices."

A guy comes in the kitchen, "Bed's together." 

"Thank you Ben. We only needed that put together."

"My pleasure."

Another woman runs in, "I got some baby blankets and toys. Nobody said if they baby had any toys. My kids had so many that age. I grabbed a couple walking toys and oh, who the hell knows. I grabbed some for him. They were in storage. I would definitely clean them. Then I grabbed this box. It's clothes on top. I saved them in case I wanted another. But no. 5 was enough. I'm not doing that anymore. Then I grabbed Jack and sent him to my house for a rocking chair. I want none of it back. It's your problem stuff now."

I can't help but laugh, "Thank you. And he'll love any toys. He only has 1."

"This box?"

"Yea, sit it on the counter."

"Here I put a box of cleaning supplies together. I threw in a couple rags. Everything I sent was in storage. I had no time to clean anything when you said an hour. I feel bad sending it dirty."

I smile at the new lady, "Thank you for everything. Thank you all. I'm perfectly capable of cleaning and sorting. It's a miracle how much you all put together in so little time. I'll never be able to thank you. My baby has some toys and clothes. He won't have to sleep on the floor. It's all perfect." Tears start falling.