[Pearl × toddler reader]

[#10: Reading]

You stared at Pearl as she held a book in her hand and a small cup of tea in the other. She flipped a page with her thumb after taking a sip of her tea. She noticed you starting and set her cup down.

"(Y/N), you know it's not polite to stare," she scolded softly, turning to face you. You twiddled your thumbs and held your head.

"Hey, (Y/N), what's the matter?" she asked, closing her book and placing it on the table.

You shrugged. But in actuality, you just wanted to cuddle with Pearl. You always really enjoyed Pearl and her company. She was overprotective and strict at most times, but she was also sweet and caring.

"Cuddle?" you asked shyly, a slight blush tinting your cheeks. You didn't notice Pearl smiling. She picked you up and placed you in her lap. You giggled and hugged her, nuzzling your face into her chest.

She chuckled and wrapped her skinny arms around you. You felt so warm and nice in her embrace. You looked at the book that lay on the table and pointed to it.

"Oh, this is my favorite book. Would you like me to read it to you?" she asked. You gasped and nodded vigorously, stars forming in your eyes. She smiled and began to read the book to you. She finished it and you clapped your tiny hands together, giggling.

"Another! Another!" you begged, looking at her with puppy dog eyes. She couldn't say no to your adorable face and grabbed another book. It was about cats and dogs who could talk. You knew Pearl probably thought it to be rather stupid, but read it none the less.

Once she was finished, you were dozing off while snuggled into her. She smiled and kissed your head.

You fell asleep and dreamt of Pearl reading you so many adventure-filled stories about unicorns, dragons, and many other fictional animals. Listening to Pearl read made you really happy.

You awoke to Pearl reading another book, but only to herself. You looked at the letters and words on the paper, but couldn't understand what they meant.

You narrowed your eyes, trying your best to read the words. But no matter how hard you tried, it didn't work. Pearl noticed you and chuckled.

"Do you want me to teach you to read?" she questioned, and you nodded while smiling widely. She taught you for a while and you could eventually sound out one sentence- although very slowly. But you didn't care! You could read!

"I can read!" you chanted, hugging Pearl tightly and laughing. She blushed and hugged you back. You looked up at her and said, "Thanks, Pearl!"

She replied with a "you're welcome" and kissed your nose. You wrapped your arms around her neck and nuzzled your head into the crook of her neck. You really loved Pearl.

All day, you bragged to Garnet, Amethyst, and Steven about how Pearl taught you to read. You were really proud of yourself. You kept practicing and finally, you could read a whole paragraph!

You showed Pearl and she told you that she was so proud of you. And it made you happy. Pearl made you happy.

---

Cute!

I personally really think this is adorable. Short, but adorable. What about you guys?

This was also inspired by the book from the last one-shot!

Last night I had a dream that Shrek could shoot lasers out of his stomach, and Fiona was swimming through the ocean and the waves were parting so she could get by and idk what's wrong with me.

Btw, you can check out my other books: The Homeworld Human (Homeworld Gems x child reader) and Learning (Jasper x fem!reader)!

As always, don't forget to vote and comment!

Ily all!

- Aehlyn ♡