[Garnet × child reader]

[#85: Square Mom Day]

You were curled up on the couch with a book held to your chest. You snored softly, a small puddle of drool forming under your mouth. You'd been waiting all day for your mother-- Garnet-- and you eventually fell asleep.

The Warp Pad sounded, causing you to jolt awake. You wiped the drool from your face and quickly climbed to your feet, hurrying up to Garnet. You held out the book, smiling wide.

"Mommy! Mommy! Look at this book I bought with Steven yesterday!" you exclaimed, hopping from foot to foot. Garnet glanced at you and the book, only humming. She then spun around and entered her room.

You frowned, lowering the book. You glared at the bright, colorful cover, and suddenly threw the book to the ground. You stomped to the couch and plopped down with your arms crossed. You began to sniffle, your eyes watering.

Garnet almost never spent any time with you anymore. You were feeling so lonely and upset without her. You pulled your knees to your chest and cried until you fell asleep again.

-

You sat on a stool with your chin resting in the palm of your hand. You sighed deeply as you poured cereal into a bowl of milk. You accidently dropped it, spilling cereal everywhere. You frowned and rested your forehead on the counter angrily.

The Temple door opened. You normally would excitedly look up and expect it to be Garnet, but this time, you really could care less. Garnet tilted her head at you, obviously finding this to be a strange sight.

They look upset... Maybe I have been a little distant lately. I should spend some time with them. She told herself.

She walked over to you and placed a hand on your shoulder. You looked up with wide eyes. You smiled at Garnet and hugged her tightly. She grinned, which was rare, and hugged you back.

"(Y/N), after you clean up this mess, we can go have a 'mother-and-child day', as humans would say. Would you like that?" Garnet asked. You gasped, your eyes filling with stars.

"Really?!" you shouted, squishing your cheeks together with the palms of your hands. Garnet chuckled softly and ruffled your hair. She nodded, which made you cheer loudly and immediately clean up your mess.

"What should we do first, Mommy?" you asked Garnet, reaching up to wrap your tiny fingers around Garnet's hand. She hummed to herself and then said, "Donuts."

You giggled, "That's a great idea! C'mon, let's go, Mommy! To the Big Donut!" Garnet grinned as you dragged to her to the front door and outside. You skipped happily, smiling and humming, which made Garnet's nonexistent heart flourish with a feeling of joy.

You arrived at the Big Donut, the familiar bell chime welcoming you and your mother. You pulled Garnet to the counter and, still gripping her hand, pressed your face against the glass around the donuts and tried to pick out the one you wanted.

"Mommy, can you tell me what donut I'd like the most with your future vision? Please, please, please?" you asked, giving Garnet your iconic puppy-dog eyes and pouted bottom lip. Garnet grinned, rolling her three eyes behind her visors.

"Hmm... I'd say (F/D)," she replied, pointing one finger to the donut through the glass display. You giggled, "Yeah, you're right!" Garnet's smile faded and she crossed her arms, staring down at you with uncomfortable silence.