Part Fourty-Nine: Fires Burn

Gwen hung around Maggie for about the rest of the afternoon, producing plays for her little twin step-sisters, Karlee and Kaelynn

Gwen walked outside with the twins, wanting to show them a dance Gwen and Maggie learned together. But Gwen was interupted by smoke coming out of someone's house.

Peter's.

She and Maggie gave in each other a look, then took off running towards the burning house. The two twins, being 5 followed them. And Miguel, who was taking out the trash saw his girlfriend running towards the burning house. He saw the flames and ran over too. He quickly before opened the door and said, "be right back, Mama!"

Gwen and Maggie ran as the house was up in flames. They saw their best friend standing in the backyard and joined him vigorously.

"Pete, where is your parents!?" Gwen asked. "Across at Mayfield's. I called them to no answer!" Peter yelled, crying.

"Where's Larissa, Yasper, and Mayden?!" Gwen asked. "Mayden's at Vido's. Also across town." Gwen let out a relieving sigh but not for long. "What about Yas and Lar? Same place," Gwen asked, frantically. Mayden, Yasper and Larissa were both Peter's younger siblings.

"No, in the house. I need to get them... I'm so scared, guys!"

Gwen's heart stopped. She watched as Miguel came into her view. She had to do something. She could hear the fire fighters, but they were gonna be too late. Gwen had to step in.

Before she could do anything, she heard a horrifying scream from inside the flamed house. "I couldn't find them. They must be in the house and according to the that scream, they won't have enough time.

Gwen looked at the front door.

It was very clear, but the scream came from upstairs, if she chose the wrong door, she and the children could, and very much would, die. Gwen looked at the growing vines which lead to the second floor. Without thinking much, she ran to them, voices from the crowd, which consisted of Peter's nearby neighbor's, Maggie, Maggie and Mason siblings, Mason and Miguel and his mother and Yaya, calling for her name.

She consisted with the climb, as fast as she could. She made it onto the roofing for the porch and ran to a window beside. She tried to open it, but it was locked. She could already feel the stinging heat of the fire already on her temple. She thought about ways to open the door.

Gwendolyn, this is a rescue's mission. You use your damn feet.

She kicked the glass and broke it with her converse.

She carefully walked into the broken glass, opening the burning house. "Larissa! Yasper?! Where are you!?" She yelled. She walked through the burning house, feeling the burn. And wearing black jeans didn't help.

She eventually heard a little girl scream. "Larissa!" She yelled, loud enough for the people outside to hear her.

Outside, Miguel was getting held by his mother, and Johnny had his arm around him. His eyes were frightened, and were inches to crying.