Part Sixty-Five: Therapy

Gwen sat in her wheelchair as Johnny beginning squirting lighter fluid on the dry coals on top of a kettle grill

Gwen sat in her wheelchair as Johnny beginning squirting lighter fluid on the dry coals on top of a kettle grill. Miguel stood beside Johnny, arms crossed. "You know why they call this a hibachi?" Johnny asked the girl.

"They don't. They call it a kettle grill," she said, rolling her eyes. "Hundred years ago in Ancient China, there was a tiny village of dairy farmers, living fat off their milk and cheese. Then, when a drought came, they needed to get water from the river. None of the China men wanted to do their work," Johnny went on as Gwen fumbled with her fingers.

"I'm not sure that that's appropriate term, Blondie," Gwen pointed out. Johnny let out a slight laugh since she used the nickname she hadn't used since they first met.

"China people, whatever... The point is, they were laying around in hammocks, waiting for rain. So the wisemen gathered up a bunch of twigs and stuffed it under villagers while they slept. And know what he did then?" Johnny asked.

"Let me guess. He lit a fire under them," Gwen answered. "Exactly. That's where the expression comes from," Johnny said, then crouched down, looking at Gwen. "Do you know what the Wiseman's name was?"

"Hibachi?" Gwen and Miguel answered at the same time. "Damn straight."

"Yeah. Ok. Except that hibachis are from Japan, not China," Gwen considered. "Where there also weren't a lot of dairy farmers, historically, or hammocks," Miguel said, clicking his tongue.

"You think I'd fall for that, Blondie?" Gwen asked, smiling a cocky smile.

"No, but I knew you'd both be too busy calling my bullshit to know what I was really up to.."

"Oh yeah, what's that?" Gwen asked. "Lighting a fire under you."

Johnny raised up lighter fluid and a lighter and Miguel gasped. Gwen air completely left her lungs as she looked down at her shoes. "What did you do," she chuckled, "WHAT DID YOU DO!?" she shouted.

Johnny pushed Miguel back and grabbed his shirts collar. He scurried over to Gwen and grabbed her arms, so she couldn't reach down and take out the fire, while keeping Miguel in his grip.

"Are you mentally challenged!?" She shouted. "Depends who you ask. C'mon, LaRusso, shake a leg!"

"Let me go!" Miguel shouted, struggling in Johnny's grip.

"I can't!" Gwen shouted, wincing at the fire that she couldn't feel burn. Not to mention the burn she got weeks earlier from a burning house. "You can if you want it bad enough!!" Johnny told her. "It's all I fucking want!!" Gwen swore, wiggling her arms from Johnny's grip.

"Then focus! Tell your brain to tell your legs to get their asses moving!!"

Gwen began focusing. Telling her brain nonstop to do their job. "C'mon," she mumbled.

To no avail, the fire went up her leg. "Oh shit," Johnny mumbled, letting go of Miguel and Gwen. "Sensei, it's going up my leg!!" She shouted, as Miguel hopped down to help, but didn't know how. Johnny grabbed a fire extinguisher and blew it on her foot.