Part Eighty-Two: Fishing

Before Gwen and Daniel arrived at Miyagi-Do, all the Eagle Fangs were stretching, as Miguel explained the dinner party the night before

"Dude, you spilled a glass of wine. So what?" Hawk said. Miguel scoffed. "I don't know, man. You should've heard the way Mr. LaRusso was talking about Gwen's future. She seemed so uncomfortable. Not to mention I can't even afford a car, let alone college. What if they think I'm not good enough for her?"

"Dude. You're El Serpiente. You've dated Gwen for a year! Just show Mr. LaRusso what you're made of." You're gonna crush whatever he throws at us today," Hawk added, stretching his leg.

Mason spoke up. "Me and Peter have known Mr. LaRusso since Gwen and us were in Kindergarten. He's an understanding guy. You're seriously gonna crush whatever happens today."

"Yeah. Compared to Sensei Lawrence's training, today's gonna be a vacation," Mitch scoffed.

Just then, Daniel and Gwen appeared, laughing at something. "Who's going on vacation?" Daniel asked, as Gwen fixed his White Lotus headband.

"Uh, no one," Miguel exclaimed. "What have you got for us today, Mr. LaRusso?"

"Come here," he shrugged. Gwen stood beside her father, walking along with him. They walked to the koi pond, in which Gwen placed her hand in the water, feeling the cold liquid shock her warm skin. "Now, I know you've all been taught to strike first. What do you do when your opponent, is faster than you?"

"Are those real koi?" Mitch asked. Gwen looked up, smiling. "They sure are," she nodded. "Gwen, if you'd please?" Daniel told his daughter, and she nodded. She began taking off her shoes, then fluently, jumped from the cold, wet grass, to the warm, soaked in sun, balance board. She landed somewhat stable on her knees. She moved the center, balancing herself.

"Today's lesson is simple. Catch a fish," Daniel explained. "But since I know you Eagle Fangs like a bit of competition, we're gonna make it interesting. So the first to succeed will have the honor of leading class all week."

Silence. They all stared at each other as if they knew one of them had commuted a crime. "And you also get to pick out what flavor Gatorade I buy next," Daniel added, and excitement erupted.

"Aw, hell yeah! Hope you all like Glacial Freeze!" Mitch said, then Daniel looked at his daughter mischievously. "And..."

"Dadwhyareyoulookingatmelikethat?" Gwen questioned, hunched down trying to have balance on the board. "Payback," Peter nudged Mason and glared at Gwen, playfully.

"And since I know you guys enjoy picking on her," he began, and Gwen's eyes tripled in size. "Whoever catches fish gets to push Gwen into the pond."

"What!?" Gwen exclaimed.

Hawk rubbed his hands together, glaring at Gwen. She held her finger out and stubbornly said, "No."

She looked at Miguel, as she got into a full standing stance on the board. "As Gwen works on her wheel technique on the board, you boys will catch the fish."