Chapter 61

Eila's POV

"Mmmm, smells great... Too bad I already ate." Says Joe with a cheeky grin on his face, his eyes glinting with the hidden meaning behind his words. I feel my mouth form an 'O' in surprise and I reach across the counter to smack him on the bare arm.

I wasn't even cooking anything - just making us both a cup of hot chocolate. Still Joe felt the need to turn it into something dirty.

"You're such an idiot!" I say affectionately as I stir the powder in both of our mugs. I'm wearing nothing but my baggy shirt over my underwear and Joe looks pretty irresistible without his shirt on. He's been going to the gym more often to try and forget about everything thats happened, and it seems to be working because his abs have never looked more toned . His hair looks exactly as I like it - ruffled and messy, hanging over his eyes.

"A lovable idiot." He says as I slide his mug across the counter. I roll my eyes but can't find it in myself to counter him, knowing it's true. I walk around the counter and towards the couch, glancing back at Joe with an expectant look on my face.

He follows behind me and the two of us curl up onto the couch, the same couch which served very useful not 20 minutes ago. I feel a rush of tingles flow through my body as Joe's warm hand snakes it's way around my waist. The TV is on, showing a marathon of one of my favourite shows 'The Big Bang Theory.' Joe and I sit in peaceful quiet as we watch, occasionally sipping our hot chocolates. Every now and then Joe chuckles - when he does I feel his chest reverberate against me and his breath tickle my hair.

I don't exactly know how long we sat there for, but after 3 straight episodes of the show I was beginning to feel tired. Now my head is leaned on Joe's chest and my cup has long since been discarded on the coffee table. I know we need to go to bed but it's just so warm and familiar being snuggled with Joe.

"Baby, let's go to bed." Joe whispers after he switches the TV off. I have no clue what time it is but my guess is well after midnight. I don't resist when he stands up from the couch, pulling me up with him until my feet are forced to touch the cold wooden floor. The two of us then tip toe down the stairs even though the apartment is empty.

Joe's bed is soft and inviting, but even better than his linen sheets are his toned arms wrapping around me, pulling my back into his stomach so the two of us are in a spooning position. I gently run my fingers over the taught skin on his forearm, and he squeezes me even tighter. A smile spreads over my lips as I feel his lips softly press against the back of my neck, so tenderly that it's enough to make my heart flutter.

"Thank you for tonight." I whisper, trying to channel every last ounce of gratitude into those words. I meant them too - tonight had been many things rolled into one: beautiful, amazing, emotional, thoughtful, exciting - it was without a doubt the best night of my life. It was simple in it's nature but grand in it's effect.

"Thank you for being you." Joe whispers back, his lips dragging over the skin on my neck as he speaks. I can feel his heat enveloping my body, our blankets creating a cocoon from the rest of the world. It always feels like that with Joe - everything else dissipates and the only thing I care about is him.

"I love you." I whisper back, my eyelids drooping and muscles relaxing from the pull of sleep.

"I love you too Eila. More than you will ever know." That's the last beautiful thing I hear before I am pulled under, snuggled against Joe's chest, his hand spread over my stomach in an attempt to keep me close.

~~

"I am the absolute best at making waffles, I swear!" Joe says as he bangs around in the kitchen, the morning light streaming onto the countertop making his brown hair shine.