Chapter 27

Eila's POV

It's taking everything I have not to let the tears out again - Joe and I are outside the actual theatre now, and he is kissing me gently, softly. I appreciate it and I slowly loop my arms around his neck. The familiar warmth spreads through me and I'm momentarily distracted from Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancester.

That is until I hear a symphony of squeaky voices yelling 'OMG!' From further down the hallway.

We pull away from each other without a moments doubt - of course we had to run into a horde of fangirls at this very moment.

There's 4 of them, all very cute in a geeky way. From the looks of things they're about 14, and I plaster a smile to my face despite the obvious moisture under my eyes.

Their eyes widen as they take in the scene before them - Joe brushing himself down with flushed cheeks and crazy hair, and me attempting to hold in tears, lips still tingling from our kiss.

"Can... We get a photo?" One of the girls asks us in a stuttery voice.

Joe puts on his best grin and I watch as the young girl melts. "Yeah sure..."

Joe goes to stand with them for their group selfie, but one of the girls pipes up before the photo is taken.

"Bring Eila in as well!" I almost drop my jaw in amazement. They want me to be in the photo. Little old me from New Zealand, with no great achievements or stories to tell.

I smile and awkwardly move into the frame of the photo. I wait for Joe to put his arm around me but then I remember that no one is supposed to know about us yet.

I pull a happy face that contradicts what I feel inside. The girls thank us for the picture, and just when I think they're about to leave one of them has the nerve to say something else.

"So... Is Jeila real?!" This is received by a round of giggles throughout the group. I roll my eyes in frustration and Joe crosses his arms.

"We saw you kissing..." Says one of the more shy girls. When I hear this I start to panic - I bet these girls will spread it all over twitter.

Joe looks surprised when he hears this and glances at me. "Uuh... Well..." He is lost for words.

"It's alright, we promise we will never tell anyone, not until you announce it." One of the girls says. I don't know if I can rely on their word but it will have to do.

"Ok... Yeah we're dating but we need you guys to keep quiet about it for a while." Joe says after clearing his throat in embarrassment.

The oldest and most confident one of the group smirks. "In exchange for one thing..."

I raise my eyebrows at the confidence of this girl. Her lips are pouted and for a scary moment I'm afraid she's going to ask him for a kiss.

"You have to follow all of us on twitter. Both of you." She grins wickedly and Joe gives her a chuckle - you can practically see the entire group start fawning over him.

I roll my eyes. There is an unnecessary tinge of jealousy in my gut - I know it's completely uncalled for but its there all the same.

"Yeah yeah alright, what's the name of your twitters?" Joe asks in a joking tone of voice as he pulls out his phone to follow them.

5 minutes later both Joe and I have followed each of the girls. When we finally get away from them I let out a sigh of exasperation I had been holding in.

Joe grasps my hand in his as he can sense my discomfort. "Don't worry they won't spread it."

I frown in disapproval. If I know fangirls, they probably won't keep their mouth shut for more than an hour.