Chapter 82

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for flying Air New Zealand. We are about to begin our ascent..." The metallic voice blares over the speakers in the cabin, jolting me back to reality. I rub my hands over my eyes to clear away the haziness.

The cabin is completely full of passengers, each of them of a different age, background, nationality - there are so many people crammed into this plane and each of them have a different story to tell.

I pick up the plastic cup of water that sits on my tray table and bring it to my lips, distracting myself with the soothing caress of cold water on my tongue. The air in the cabin is dry and manufactured - I suddenly long for a crisp summers breeze to cool my cheeks. The cabin is too crowded with people; there are too many bodies contributing to the temperature of the artificial air.

Joe is in the bathroom, which means that now I'm here alone. Alone isn't something I want to be right now - I know that the longer I sit here by myself, the further I will spiral into the whirlpool of depression that threatens to pull me under constantly.

I pull out one of the magazines from the compartment in front of me and flip through it distractedly, my eyes scanning the pages without absorbing the information. So many words blur together in one big mass of in-distinction. I find myself twitching constantly as I flip through the pages - my leg moves up and down, my fingers tap the flimsy pages of the magazine and my teeth nibble at my bottom lip.

"Eila..." Joe says gently as he climbs into the seat next to me. I jump slightly, blinking at him as if he is a figment of my imagination. I screw my eyes shut and force my heart rate to settle. I put the magazine back where it belongs, since I wasn't technically reading it.

"What's wrong baby?" Joe says while placing a hand over my thigh, squeezing gently as he does.

"I don't know... Just don't leave me alone again okay?" I say in a slightly breathless voice, my eyes fixed on the hand that he rubs over my thigh.

"Sure thing baby." Joe says, even though the promise can't possibly be kept. We have a 24 hour long flight ahead of us - there will be more than one trip to the toilet required. Still, I draw comfort from his words because when Joe reassures me about something it just seems so irrefutably right.

"Ladies and gentlemen, if you would please return to your seats, buckle in your seat belts and stowaway your tables - we will be taking off shortly." The seat belt sign turns on with a small ding, prompting everyone in the cabin to grudgingly buckle themselves in. Joe removes his hand from my thigh and it's then that I notice the delicious throbbing feeling in my lower abdomen. I push it away - now is not a time to entertain such an urge. I'm surprised that I am even capable of feeling such a thing - my entire body has been numb for the last week or so. It seems odd that it's awakening now, of all times.

Joe and I got lucky with our seats - we're at the front of economy class in the only twin seats the plane has to offer. Nobody else is sitting beside us, something which gives me a selfish relief. When both Joe and I are strapped in and prepared for take off, he brings his hand back to it's original position on my upper thigh. I swallow roughly and wet my lips with my tongue, willing myself to ignore the pleasurable ache that throbs beneath my jeans. I can't stop my mind from wandering - I picture being lost in Joe, in a sweaty and passionate embrace that would no doubt overbear the sadness that lingers deep in my chest. I picture his hands running over my skin and his lips pressing onto mine, distracting me from all the demons that lurk just over my shoulder.

He seems oblivious to my thoughts as he drags his thumb over the fabric of my jeans in absent minded patterns, each movement of his sending a rocket of fire through my body. With each passing second I feel the irrational desire building, and I shift slightly in my seat to accommodate the throbbing of my bottom half. I can feel the lust bubbling in me and I can barely contain it.