Chapter 38

Eila's POV

I never meant to break down in front of him. For hours before visiting Joe I had psyched myself up - thinking about happy things like kittens, puppies and One Direction. I had thought that I was past it all, past all the pointless hatred that seemed to flow in like a relentless tide.

However when I looked into those grey eyes of his which were so clouded with worry for me, I couldn't help it - I started to cry for what felt like the millionth time that day. I'm not proud of my weakness, however with Joe's arms wrapped around me I felt so at home that the tears immediately receeded.

Now I am standing opposite him in the hallway, my eyes on his. No more am I going to cry over these people - I am going to focus on loving Joe no matter what obstacles come our way. Like Joe said, the only thing that matters is our love.

I close my eyes and lean forward into Joe's strong chest, and I feel his head rest atop of my own. The only sound I can hear is the steady rythm of Joe's heartbeat and a quiet sobbing just to the left of us.

Wait, what? I open my eyes and scan the expanse of the hallway nervously. Standing just to the left of us is none other than Laura, black mascara lines running down her freckled face. Laura, the intense, slighlty rude, I-hate-the-world girl who appears to have invincible armor, is standing there crying.

Joe looks up, confused. When his eyes land on Laura they widen with disbelief, similar to my own reaction. Laura notices both of us looking at her, and suddenly she has covered both of her eyes with her hands while groaning loudly. "Don't look at me..." She says, her voice muffled behind the sleeves of her shirt.

I slowly walk over to her, being very cautious in my approach. She glances up at me as I get closer, all the while Joe watches from the doorstep with a look of amusement on his face. "Are you ok?" I ask timidly, being careful not to be too loud in the still silence of the hall.

"It's nothing. You guys... that shit could've been in a fucking holywood movie." Despite the tear stains on her cheek she smiles a toothy smile, and I breathe a sigh of relief that she was only crying about that. I did have a sickly thought that maybe her and Caspar were having problems.

"How long were you, uh, standing there for?" Joe asks awkwardly, clearly self concious that Laura had been watching our moment together.

"Well, I just opened the door of my apartment when Eila started crying. I guess you two didn't hear me come out..." She says, embarrasment showing on her pale cheeks. I do feel a little bit intruded upon, however the fact that she started crying is enough to make me forgive her.

Joe clearly doesn't feel the same because I hear him sigh loudly before walking back into the apartment. I glance back at him, and Laura hastily apologizes.

"I'm so sorry, I should've walked away but I couldn't tear my eyes away..." She stares at the ground, a look of upmost shame on her face. On a whim, I carefully pull her into a hug. At first she is stiff and unresponsive, as she is obviously not someone who frequently hugs other people. However she soon starts to hug me back, and the pressure she is putting on my back with her arms makes me wander if there is something else wrong.

When she pulls away her eyes are misty again, but only for a breif moment before she puts on her invincible armor once more. I don't want to push her, so I simply keep quiet while I walk back into the apartment. I can hear her following closely behind me.

As soon as Caspar sees Laura walk in his headphones are immediately discarded and he rushes over to her. I have never seen him move so quickly, and the look of worry in his eyes is something I didn't expect. "Are you ok?" He whispers, and I can sense they're about to have a moment so I start to walk down the stairs, trying to be as quiet as possible.