Chapter 45

Eila's POV

Joe's face is turned away from me, his cheek entirely exposed. I'm not sure what he's looking at, however his gaze is fixed intently on something at the opposite end of the ward. I silently scoop up a spoonful of the putrid mashed potato they served for lunch and fling the pile of goop straight at his face.

"Oh my god! What the hell is that!" He yells after jumping with fright. Watching him have a mini panic attack about a pile of watery goop is too much for me and I crack up laughing.

He puts on his disgusted face and slowly reaches up to wipe the shit of his cheek. All the while I try to contain my laughter, occasionally snorting. When he hears this he starts to laugh with me, until both of us can barely breathe. Old Frank, the guy next to me, looks over at us with a disapproving face.

I shut my eyes, the laughing becoming too much - that was a bad mistake. I feel Joe smoosh the potato onto my face, his hand moving in a circular motion in order to distribute it evenly. Even though I should be pissed off at him I keep laughing, the sound echoing off the blank walls of the hospital ward.

"Eila Morrison? You are being discharged this afternoon." The cold, clean cut voice of my nurse interrupts our fun. I look up at her, my face covered in the disgusting mash. She has a frown etched on her perfect forehead, her fingernails tapping constantly on that clip board of hers.

"Oh... Ok... Thank you." I sputter out, my mouth covered in the potato. Chunks of the stuff go flying over my freshly washed sheets and Joe snorts loudly but tries to swallow his laughter.

My nurse shakes her head like a dissappointed parent and proceeds to check my vitals one more time. I know she doesn't really need too - I have been feeling back to normal for more than a few hours now. The drug has worn off completely, liberating my body from that slow and heavy feeling. It feels like now I can finally move without feeling like I'm about to faint. My cut has been unstitched, leaving it free to start healing... It still stings whenever anything touches it so I try to refrain from doing that too often.

While my nurse occupies herself with the pointless testing, I use a towel that Joe handed me to wipe the gunk off my face. He looks like he is trying so hard not to laugh, and the look on his face will soon make me lose my composure so I look away.

"Alright, you are free to go. Just change out of your hospital robes and speak to the main office for your clearance forms." She says after completing her check ups. I smile and thank her for everything, but she has already left the ward.

"That nurse is such a bitch..." Joe growls, and I can't help but agree with him. Some people are so uptight you'd swear they have a cork up their ass.

Joe stands up to pull the curtains around my bed so I can get changed out of the watchful eye of Old Frank. Joe had brought some clean clothes for me after an earlier visit back to the hotel - thankfully I also convinced him to have a shower and a proper nap while he was there. If my calculations are correct the current day is Wednesday, in the late afternoon. I slip out of the disgusting hospital robe, revealing my naked body to Joe. He says he isn't watching, but judging by the barely concealed gasp from a small distance away I think otherwise. I pull on my clothes as quickly as possible before spinning around, hoping to catch him in the act.

His face is red, his eyes flicking in every direction but mine. "I knew it!" I screech.

He rolls his eyes and bends down to pick up his bag while I open the curtains once again. Although I have done a bit of walking since being admitted, it was only a short distance to the toilets and shower cubicles. To feel my legs beneath me, solid and stable, is something I never knew I loved until after this incident. Once the curtains are open I start walking towards the exit, a smile painted on my features - I am ecstatic to be getting out of this place once and for all.