Chapter 62

Joe's POV

The apartment feels more like a dungeon after Eila leaves - every sound I make is amplified, and the air feels a lot chillier than before. I always take her presence for granted, and when she leaves it's like a part of me goes out the door with her.

Still, it was for the best that she went home tonight. I figure it's finally time for me to grill Caspar about everything, to really try and break through this shield he's put up since Laura walked out on him.

I stop breathing and turn away from my editing screen for a few seconds. I strain my ears against the thickening silence for any signs of life, even just the sound of Caspar breathing next door. My ears obviously aren't good enough because the only thing I can hear is the distant sound of sirens in the streets below.

I have been trying to edit for the last half an hour now, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm still on the same segment of the video, moving at snail pace in comparison to how quickly I usually get through it. I suppose that's because my mind is elsewhere - it's in Caspar's room next door.

I sigh deeply and stand up, pushing my office chair back in the motion. I pad softly out of my room and around the corner until I reach Caspar's doorway. As usual his door is wide open, but instead of seeing his form wrapped up in bed sheets I see him sitting near his bedside table, his hands holding an unidentifiable piece of paper. His shoulders are slumped forward and his posture radiates sadness.

"Cas?" I say quietly, letting the word slip out unintentionally. He whips his gaze away from the paper and hurriedly shoves it into his coat pocket, his eyes glinting with the fear of being caught. The problem is I have no clue what I am catching him for.

"Hey Joe..." His look of worry subsides and that tired smile overtakes his face again. I agree with what Eila said about him lying to us - he definitely didn't stay with Marcus and Niomi. He looks as if he's had about 2 hours of sleep and if I remember correctly those were the same clothes he left in yesterday night.

"Can we... Can we talk?" I ask him warily, taking a step into his bedroom for the first time in weeks. The place looks messy, however I'm glad to see the empty pizza boxes have been discarded.

"Sure... What is it?" I walk to the edge of his bed and sit down, so there is about a half a meter of space between us. In reality the space feels a thousand times longer than that.

"Caspar... You and I both know you didn't stay with Marcus last night." I begin, my eyes scanning his face for a reaction. His features are softly lit by his bedside lamp, and I watch as his forehead furrows and mouth opens to protest.

"I did stay with Marcus..." Caspar says, holding a firm expression as he locks his gaze with mine. I'm not sure but I think I can see a hint of anger in his eyes.

I say nothing but keep holding my gaze in his. It's been a while since I last stared at Caspar straight on, seeing as he could barely process my existence a week ago. I don't lose my resolve as he stares me down, and I can feel the tension rising in the air.

"I don't believe you..." I say quietly but firmly, holding my ground against his towering figure and intense gaze. Even though we are seated it still feels like he is looking down on me, just like he always does when he is getting angry.

I watch as his stoic, blank expression slowly falters, and his lips clench into a hard line. His breathing picks up a few notches and his hands fist slightly.

"What do you want to hear Joe? The truth?" His voice is much louder than before, some of his rising anger leaking through in his words. He stands up from his bed and I follow suit, so we are both facing each other.