Chapter 41

I glance through the crowd, my vision slightly blurred from a mixture of alcohol and anger. I didn't think this through very well because now I have absolutely no clue where Joe and the rest of my friends are. All around me are people shouting, jumping up and down and spilling countless drinks on the trampled grass beneath them. I feel small and unimportant anongst all of this drunken insanity, and I fumble around in my skirt pocket for my phone.

Thankfully it is still securely in the pocket, and I open it to find an onslaught of missed calls from Joe. I bite my lip while scrolling through his texts, each one getting more panicked. I look up from my screen and desperately glance around for him one more time. To my utter surprise, my eyes land on his red bandana and worried face within the crowd. I smile before tucking my phone away and navigating through the girating bodies.

When Joe sees me his face relaxes into pure relief and in record speed he pulls me into his arms. I feel safer cocooned in his strong arms, and even though he smells faintly of beer there is nowhere else I'd rather be.

Joe holds me in his arms for longer than necessary, but I don't complain. I would rather be wrapped up with him than keep dancing at this crowded festival. There is still an inescapable lump clogging up my throat, and my brain can't stop replaying images of Dan kissing Phil against the wall of a portaloo. I also see Sophies kind face twisted in pain.

"I was so worried about you! Where did you go?" Joe says when we finally part from our bone crushing embrace. I look into his eyes and almost spill out everything, but with Narcus listening in I realise now is not the time. I open my mouth and close it a few times before finally spitting out an excuse.

"I went to the toilet but then got lost on the way back..." I say while staring at my feet.

"You look really tired... We should get going." Joe says, a layer of compassion in his voice. I smile at his consideration and nod at his sugestion, happy to be leaving this place behind for tonight. We both say our goodbyes to Niomi and Marcus who are probably going to keep dancing till sunrise.

Joe's POV

Eila is quiet for the entire journey back to our beachside hotel. I let her rest her head on my shoulder in silence as the taxi rumbles along through the moonlit streets. She doesn't seem like the tipsy, bubbly girl who was dancing at the festival not half an hour earlier - I can tell that something is bothering her but there is no use in asking her about it now.

We get back to the hotel room which is pitch black and silent. The minute I shut the door and flick the light switch, I hear Eila flop back onto the crisp white sheets of our king bed.

"Joe... Joe, Dan and Phil were kissing. Dan's been cheating on Sophie." She says the words slowly, as though she can't quite believe what she is saying. I can't detect any anger in her voice, only a reserved sadness. She is staring at the fan on the ceiling with a look of disbelief in her eyes.

"Oh my god... Did you catch them?" I ask.

"Yeah... When I went to the toilets they were there, and I saw everything. I just feel so bad for Sophie." She says the last part with even more sadness in her voice, and my heart aches to see her like this.

I can't think of what to say in this situation, so I do the only thing that will comfort her. I crawl on the uncrinkled sheets until I am cuddled up next to her, my lips pressed to her forehead as she moves into my chest.

"I can't believe Dan and Phil would do that." I say, letting some of my anger seep through. I guess it goes to show that you never know what people are like behind closed doors - everyone has dirty secrets and ulterior motives sometimes.