Chapter 83

"Okay, let's both sneak out at the same time. I'm sure no body will even click on to what we are up to..." Says Joe in a hushed tone as I climb off him and wash my face in the cramped sink. I giggle softly as he awkwardly manoeuvres around me to get to the door without brushing his boner against me. I feel awfully bad for not returning his favour, but he was resolute in his decision.

"You ready babe?" He asks as I finish washing my face with the cold water. I stare at my reflection for a few seconds - my lips are full and red, my cheeks are glowing and my eyes still look a little bit glazed over. I actually look healthy and happy, a sight I haven't seen for too long.

"Yeah okay." I say, and Joe opens the lock of the door. He slowly pushes it open, revealing the rest of the cabin to us. To my absolute horror, there is a young boy and his mother standing outside the toilet door waiting patiently. The little boy looks confused, however his mother's jaw drops to the floor in shock and then eventually disgust. She keeps her disapproving eyes fixed on us as she leads her son away from the toilets and back down the isle.

Joe's face is tinged an ungodly shade of red as he leads me back to our seats. I am out of breath by the time I am seated again, and my heart is hammering rapidly in my chest.

"Fuck. Fucking shit. I can't believe that happened. Oh god." Joe says in absolute disbelief, while burying his head in his hands.

I am speechless as I sit back in my chair, trying to regain control of my breathing and heartbeat. The mother and son appear to have walked down to the other end of the plane where the second set of toilets are located. Although this entire situation is mortifying, an uncontrollable grin spreads over my face from the twisted hilarity of it all.

Joe removes his head from his hands and turns to face me, his cheeks still a shade of beetroot. "This isn't funny!" He hisses.

"I know... " I say while trying to stop myself from smiling - it doesn't seem to be working because my lips are twitching and I can feel a bubble of laughter building in my chest. Soon enough it escapes - my laughter rings out through the dimly lit cabin. I cover my hand with my mouth in an attempt to stop it and Joe does the same with his own hand. It looks like he is trying to suppress a smile as he holds his hand against my mouth.

Eventually the giggling subsides and I tap
Joe on the arm. He moves his hand away while shaking his head and grinning - his fiery cheeks are only just beginning to fade back to their usual complexion.

"Jesus Christ Eila..." Joe says, and I smile giddily at him. I feel lighter than I have in weeks, all thanks to Joe. This is just one more thing he has done for me out of the complete goodness of his soul.

"How about we just pretend that never happened?" I say.

"Amen to that..." Joe says while running his hand through his hair and turning to glance back down the aisle. I can tell he's looking around for the mother and son that we probably scarred for life.

I get out the complimentary blanket and pillow provided by the airline - the dimly lit atmosphere of the cabin and the indistinct sound of people snoring is making my eyelids droop. I recline my chair back as far as it goes before pulling the blanket over me and snuggling into the pillow. Joe watches all of this with faint amusement.

"So it's off to bed now is it?" Joe says cheekily, obviously teasing me about my careless dismissal of the mortifying experience we just encountered.

"Yep." I say with a gentle smile on my face, before following it up with a yawn that reaches every part of my body.

Joe shakes his head but doesn't say anything more. He pulls out his own blanket and pillow, but instead of smuggling into his own chair he lifts the barrier from between us and gestures for me to rest my head on his lap. I smile gratefully at him before arranging myself on the chairs. Eventually I am comfortable - Joe's hands are running through my hair slowly, something which never fails to relax me.