CHAPTER SEVENTY-EIGHT

HE ASKED ABOUT YOU
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

HE ASKED ABOUT YOU✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

In these worrisome times, Molly and Arthur never liked the idea of Seraphina leaving the Burrow on her own. Walking amongst the muggles was little danger to her since Voldemort and his followers rarely struck in broad daylight where they risked exposure – all crimes committed against muggles were done with discretion. But at times there would be attacks even in Diagon Alley. Or more commonly some street fights or duels breaking out.

When visiting Diagon Alley to buy her school supplies, Sera always had either Arthur or Molly with her and if not them then Mr. and Mrs Potter would take her and the boys. This time, however, Fabian and Gidoen had been the ones who wanted to shop and when they first brought up the idea at the dining table, she had been reluctant to come with them.

Strolling around in different shops without a clear purpose was not an activity Seraphina particularly enjoyed. It was a waste of time she simply didn't have the patience for. 'Window shopping' Lily had called it a few times and the only thing worse than strolling around alone was following another person without a clear plan on what to buy.

When Seraphina eventually grew tired of the twins spending about twenty minutes debating over what kind of broom was the best, she told them that she'd go to Flourish and Blotts. At first they didn't want to let her go on her own – to which she rolled her eyes – and eventually they agreed to meet her at the bookstore when they were done.

Seraphina smiled when she entered the store where the shelves were stacked to the ceiling with books as large as paving stones bound in leather. In the past year she had come to enjoy reading more and more. Because when she read her thoughts would focus on that instead of everything else in her life that only made her anxious. She wasn't planning on buying anything but books were the one thing she didn't mind to just look at. At least it gave her ideas on what to wish for during her birthday in a few months.

"Sephy?"

Spinning around, Seraphina came face to face with none other than Remus. The tall brown-haired boy almost seemed nervous to be speaking with her, which broke Seraphina's heart since she hated to make him feel that way. Like she didn't want to be his friend.

"Hi, Remmy," Seraphina said, her nickname for him falling off her tongue without her even registering it. "Happy late Easter."

"You too," Remus smiled awkwardly, shifting on his feet. "Uh – are you here alone?"

"Fabian and Gideon are likely still at the Broomstix but I grew tired of waiting for them," Seraphina explained. "What about you?"

"Sirius, James and Peter are still at Gambol and Japes Wizarding Joke Shop," Remus explained. "I grew tired of waiting for them."

Seraphina chuckled, knowing very well how obsessed those boys could become the moment they stepped into a joke shop. "Perhaps they need some new inspiration," Seraphina joked. "You boys seem to be in a dry spell for pranks."

"That's because Prongs has taken it upon himself to impress Lily this year," Remus told her. "Padfoot is devastated. But it seems to be working at least."

Seraphina did not know what to think of James's sudden change in behaviour. While she of course didn't think it was bad that his arrogance shrunk and that he stopped being a bully – something she always had been against – it didn't sit right with her that he tried to change who he was. It didn't seem healthy to her that James tried to suppress who he was in order to make Lily approve of him.

"We are actually all meeting up later," Remus told her, "if you want to join us. We are planning on buying ice cream at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour."

"That sounds lovely but – I – I wouldn't want to intrude," Seraphina said, looking down awkwardly. She knew none of them would disapprove of Remus inviting her but at the same time she didn't want to ruin their hangout with the tension that followed her every time she entered a room.

"You wouldn't intrude," Remus promised her. "We all miss you. I miss you. You are my oldest friend, Sephy."

Seraphina felt guilt settle like a stone in her stomach. It was definitely not Remus' purpose to make her feel guilty but she did because countless times she had assured him that she'd never abandon him. All those times when they still hadn't started at Hogwarts and Remus expressed his insecurities about being a werewolf and told her that she deserved a better friend than a monster, Seraphina always promised him that she didn't care about what he was. That she'd never give up on their friendship no matter what.

If she was being completely honest with herself, Remus never made her feel bad about being a Slytheirn. He never threw it in her face. In fact, he had defended her more than once. The true reason she had avoided him lately was that she didn't want to put him in an awkward position while she genuinely believed he deserved a better friend.

"But, uh, if you want to, maybe we could study in the library together some day?" Seraphina suggested, surprising herself a little and Remus a lot judging by the way his brown eyes widened.

"I'd love to," Remus smiled, some light returning to his eyes.

"It's a deal."

. • ⚯͛ • .

From the second Seraphina arrived at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, her eyes scanned the crowds for a familiar head with dark brown hair. When she couldn't find him, she boarded the train and settled in the carriage that they had ridden in on their way from Hogwarts. There she sat and impatiently waited for Regulus to arrive.

Since the break started she hadn't heard a word from him.

Sera hadn't expected him to contact her considering the people he was surrounded by but it still only made her worry grow. When the door finally slid open and she saw the youngest Black brother enter, Seraphina barely let him step inside before jumping up to hug him.

Letting the door close behind him, Regulus hugged her back without a word. After a few seconds she pulled back to inspect him in search for any indication of an injury – or a change. "You're here," she breathed out a sigh of relief; the entire break she had been concerned for his well-being.

"I am," Regulus nodded, right hand clasping his sleeve-covered left forearm. He seemed tired — exhausted even. Whereas Seraphina had slept through the entire night for the first time in months during break, he appeared to have taken over her inferi-look.

"I am not going to ask you what happened, but know that you can tell me if you wish to," Seraphina told him sincerely. She would not force it out of him, but she also wouldn't turn her back on him if Regulus needed somebody to talk to.

"I know," Regulus said, eyes downcast. "And there is something I need to talk with you about."

Noticing the way Regulus clearly avoided her eyes and seemed to be shifting on his feet made her previous concern return, "What is it?"

"The Dark Lord," Regulus muttered. "He – he asked us about you."