CHAPTER ONE-HUNDRED-TWENTY-NINE

ONE DAY YOU WILL UNDERSTAND
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

ONE DAY YOU WILL UNDERSTAND✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"I didn't think it was possible, but the family trees in Greek mythology are more intertwined than the purebloods in Britain," Seraphina said as she read through a book Regulus brought her about the Twelve Olympians. "Hestia, Demeter, Hera, Poseidon and Zeus are all children of Rhea and Cronus, who are siblings and the children of the earth goddess Gaia and the sky God Uranus — who is also a son of Gaia. Suddenly everyone being cousins doesn't seem too bad."

"You speak like your family isn't a part of the problem," Regulus pointed out. The Weasley family may not have the same view as many other pure-blood families concerning blood purity but this far they remained one of the few pure-blooded families in Britain. "Your brothers' mother was a Black."

"What is important to remember there is that my mother wasn't a Black," Seraphina said. "It's bad enough that the baby's grandparents will be cousins. Sirius and I are not." With a teasing smile, she added, "You should be happy none of Cissy's sisters are your age, or you'd been married already. Instead you get Lyra."

"Don't remind me," Regulus grumbled.

"Oi, that's my girl you're talking about," Seraphina scolded him. "You should be grateful you get to marry her."

"You've known her for a few months and me for years, shouldn't she be grateful about marrying me?" Regulus said with a fake hurt expression. "And to make things clear, the engagement is not official yet."

"Only unofficial since you were born," Seraphina teased.

"Actually," Regulus said, a smirk growing on his face, "my parents originally intended for Lyra to marry Sirius."

"What?" Seraphina exclaimed, straightening up. In the process she dropped the book down on the bed, fully focusing on the young man in front of her, eyes wide with shock.

"Sirius is older and was the heir to the Black family until mother disowned him," Regulus reminded her. "Lyra was born between me and Sirius, so while we all played together as children — she was supposed to become the next 'Lady Black'."

"Sirius never mentioned that," Seraphina muttered. "Does that mean Sirius was betrothed up until the summer before our Sixth Year?"

"Technically — yes," Regulus admitted, not really registering that he was digging his older brother's grave at the moment — a deep one.

"He never told me," Seraphina said, slowly processing the information that Sirius had an intended wife up until their Sixth Year. Sure, they hadn't been together then but they were friends.

"If it makes you feel better, that marriage was a disaster waiting to happen," Regulus said. "My parents along with Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy hoped they'd grow more fond of each other with age. Unfortunately their mutual dislike only grew. No one was more happy than Lyra when Sirius got disowned. She doesn't have any interest in marrying me either, but at least we've been friends for years so it won't end in murder."