CHAPTER ONE-HUNDRED-TWENTY-FIVE

NOT IN THIS HOUSE, DIMWIT
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

NOT IN THIS HOUSE, DIMWIT✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"You made the right choice, Seraphina," Tom said as the two walked side-by-side through the forest that had become their unofficial meeting place this past year. "Together we shall make this world a better place for our kind."

"I'm sure," Seraphina said, though she didn't sound too eager. With her background, appearing too eager to join him would only rouse suspicions from the Dark Lord. Appearing somewhat conflicted would work more in her favour. That way, he'd believe her to be vulnerable and easier to manipulate.

"I understand it must be difficult for you to leave home," Tom started saying.

"Do you?" Seraphina asked, perhaps a bit too snappily for somebody addressing the Dark Lord. Realising how rude that was — if she hadn't been addressing a psychopath — Seraphina sighed, "Sorry, it's just — from what you told me, you hated your family."

"I did," Tom nodded coldly.

"After mum left, they are all I have left," Seraphina said, knowing that bringing up her mum also worked in her favour. Tom took every opportunity he had to remind her how he'd known her mother. Seraphina suspected that was another one of his manipulative attempts to make her feel like she owed him something. Like she should feel some kind of loyalty towards him because of the bond he shared with the woman who birthed her.

"I don't even have my own home," Seraphina continued, kicking a tree branch. "I should probably try to find a place — or build a shack in the woods."

"No need for that," Tom said dismissively. "I could not ask you to leave everything behind and join m-our cause and leave you to sleep on the streets. I've prepared proper accommodations for you — at least for the time being."

"Really?" Seraphina said, a little surprised. Though she suspected he wanted to keep a close eye on her until he was more certain she was sincere in her wish to join him. The reason he made it clear she had to cut all ties to her old life was definitely to separate her from those she loved and push her into an environment he could control. "Because I could just stay at the Leaky Cauldron-"

"Nonsense," Tom once again dismissed her alternative homes. "A room is being prepared for you as we speak. Shall we?" he offered her arm and Seraphina couldn't help but wonder for how long he'd put up this act.

Dumbledore told Seraphina that Tom Riddle charmed all the students and teachers at Hogwarts during his youth and since she first met him, he'd been perfectly charming most of the time. But how long before he began showing his true colours?

Linking her arm with his, Seraphina allowed Tom to apparate them to her 'new home'. Everything spun and twisted around her and the scent of pine and fresh air was replaced by a large, dimly lit hallway.