Chapter 16 Night of Murder

"Man, the city is so busy and full of life. I know it's common for curses to be in populated areas but its still hard to believe that victims were found here."

Ryouma had a sad look on his face when he thought about it. To get to the temple, Ryouma and the group need to pass through the city. However, Ryouma was having a bit of trouble with keeping the group together.

"Ryouma. Oryou-san wants to try this cake."

As Ryouma looked at his wife, he saw her floating in the air as she was looking through the window of a cake shop. Seeing this, he scratched the back of his head as he smiled nervously.

"Now, now. I promise to take you here afterwards. Besides, you can't let your disciple be more disciplined than you, right?"

"What do you mean, Ryouma? Oryou-san has already passed her teachings of window shopping to the kid."

"......what?"

As Ryouma looked around, he saw Tsurugi looking through the window of a store. However, one thing happened that he didn't expect. Tsurugi was smiling happily as he had stars in his eyes.

"So many cooking equipment on sale.........seventy-five percent off. One day, you'll be mine."

"They've already started procrastinating?!?!"

"Come on you two. Now really isn't the time. If you want to go shopping, then it'll be our reward after we finish our mission, okay?"

As Ryouma was talking to them, he was dragging Oryou and Tsurugi by their shirts. While this happened, Oryou began to speak to Ryouma as a thought went through her head.

"Ryouma, did you feel left out?"

".....please don't make me say it."

As the trio walked out of the city, Oryou's nose begin to twitch as she caught a scent. It was similar to the one she smelled on the corpses. Soon she tugged the back of Ryouma's shirt.

"What is it, Oryou?"

"It stinks here Ryouma. We're getting closer to the source of that cursed energy we sensed on those bodies."

"I see. Tsurugi, get ready and try to pace yourself. After all, you did just have a major battle."

Tsurugi nods his head as he and the others walked forward. Soon they saw themselves walking on a large set of stairs. As they were walking, Ryouma held onto the hilt of his sword. A few moments of silence pass. As the group felt a cool breeze, Ryouma quickly unsheathed his sword and swung the blade behind him. When he did, it looked like he cut nothing but the air. Though in a few moments, a single figure was seen with it's head now missing.

"What the hell?"

"A curse that can conceal its presence. Damn, I didn't expect this to happen."

Soon Ryouma, Tsurugi, and Oryou all saw figures with charcoal like bodies and skeletal masks walking out of the shadows. While this happened, Ryouma looked at the top of the stairs as he saw a single cloaked figure. Soon the man looked towards Oryou.

"Oryou, how many of these things are there?"

"Its strange. All of them have the same scent. Though since they're physically in front of us, it looks like one hundred."

"Tsurugi! You go to the top and deal with the boss. Oryou and I will take care of these guys!"

"But Sakamoto-san......"

"Just go!!!!! Besides, considering i'm still alive doing this line of work is proof i'm capable of surviving this. Now go!!!!!"

After hearing this, Oryou looked at Tsurugi with a blank look on her face as she held a peace sign on both hands. Seeing this, Tsurugi chuckled as he ran up the stairs. As he did, he said one thing to his mentors.