Chapter 34 Oath

~Flashback, Five years ago~
Inside of the Emiya Residence, Tsurugi was walking around. As he was getting ready to go outside, he saw the girl from the other day sitting in silence. Soon the boy walked over to her.

"Good morning. Your name...it's Miyu, right?"

"Yes."

"Well then, good morning, Miyu. I'm Tsurugi Emiya."

"Tsurugi...Emiya. Tsurugi Emiya......"

"Tsurugi's just fine. After all, since we'll be living together.... we're like a family."

Soon Tsurugi sat down next to Miyu. As he did, both him and the girl looked towards the sky. While Tsurugi sat next to her, he decided to keep the conversation going instead of dealing with awkward silence.

"The old man is Kiritsugu Emiya. He's my benefactor, mentor, and a hero of justice."

"Benefactor? Hero of Justice?"

"Yeah. See....Kiritsugu saved me from an accident that took the lives of many. He's pretty weird though. He has an ideal to bring eternal peace to this pain and suffering-filled world. Anyways, I better get going and start preparing dinner."

As Tsurugi said this, he was walking to the kitchen. While he did so, he noticed that Miyu was following him. He didn't mind, but he wished she would at least speak up instead of being silent. Soon the boy heard Miyu drop something. When he turned around, he saw that it was a ball that she had in her hands.

As Tsurugi picked it up, he threw it softly towards her. Miyu caught the ball, when she did, she threw it right back at Tsurugi. As Tsurugi caught it, a smile was appearing on his face as he played catch with Miyu for a good five minutes.

Tsurugi was now entering the kitchen. While he was cooking, Miyu entered the room and watched him closely. As Tsurugi was on a step ladder and chopping the vegetables, he looked over at Miyu.

"Do you want to try? I won't let you use any sharp objects, but I can at least show you how to make tea and such."

Miyu simply nods her head. As she washed her hands, Tsurugi was guiding her on how to make tea. As the time passed by, Tsurugi and Miyu were smiling happily as they finished cooking. Soon Tsurugi got a tray of food as was bringing it to Kiritsugu's room. As he knocked on the door, he made sure his adoptive father knew it was him.

"Kiritsugu, dinner is ready."

"Okay."

As Tsurugi walked in the room, he saw Kiritsugi reading the notes he found at Miyu's old home. His eyes had bags under them and he looked a lot more pale. Tsurugi couldn't help but be concerned.

"Aren't you pushing yourself too hard?"

"Just one more step."

"Still........."

"We have the wish-granting device to save humanity. Yet I still don't know how to use it."

Tsurugi's eyes twitched for a moment. He knew the reason why they brought Miyu with them, but for some reason, he just couldn't accept it. Despite that him and Kiritsugu looked all over Japan for someone like her, he just couldn't see her as a mere tool.

"Um...Kiritsugu, Miyu's sixth birthday is tomorrow right?"

"Yes."

"Then will we hold a celebration?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm just saying that it could even be a simple birthday party."

As Kiritsugu stood up, he walked towards Tsurugi. While he looked at the boy, Tsurugi noticed the small look of desperation in Kiritsugu's eyes.

"Celebrate? Celebrate that it's becoming more human? That it just might lose all of its wish granting capabilities as soon as it turns six years old. We do have an obligation to take care of that "thing". Up to the point that providing it food and clothes is fine as long as it doesn't cause any changes to it. Don't misunderstand. That thing is the means of saving humanity. Don't get attached to it. Especially when its core is the most evil thing alive."

".........."

"I'm sorry, Tsurugi. I'll eat before the food gets cold."

After hearing this, Tsurugi closed the door to Kiritsugu's room as he walked through the halls of his home. As he looked out the window, he was thinking to himself.

"He's right. I know he's right. Miyu....is just a tool to save people. Don't see her as a human. Don't grow attached. After all, the people you let die in that fire wanted the same thing and you did nothing. So why should I desire for a normal life and a family when I robbed the futures of others to get here?!"

"Onii-chan.....let's play."

A look of confliction was on Tsurugi's face

A look of confliction was on Tsurugi's face. He knew that he shouldn't grow attached to Miyu, but even so...he can't bring himself to see her as a mere tool. However, before he could ponder on this, he heard the sound of something crashing onto the floor.

"Kiritsugu!!!!"

Tsurugi soon entered the room he briefly left. He saw his father, collapsed on the floor. He carried Kiritsugu to his futon as he asked Miyu to give him a warm towel. While this happened, Tsurugi listened closely to Kiritsugu.

"Heh. It seems my body was more damaged during that great fire than I thought. Tsurugi...I don't have much time. I know I may seem cruel in your eyes. You don't need to forgive me, you can see me as cruel and hate me if you want."

"Kiritsugu....."

"I'm tired, Tsurugi. Is it greedy of me to dream of a world where everyone can share a laugh? Where everyone can smile brightly. I fought with everything I had to make that dream reality. Yet no matter how many steps I took, it seemed like I never got any closer to making that dream into a reality. Even so.....Tsurugi, to save one life means to sacrifice another. The only people you can save are those that truly belong on your side. If you wish to use your power to save people, then save people that you, Tsurugi Emiya, wish to protect."

"....I understand. I understand my duty, dad. I promise, i'll do my best."

"On that night, Kiritsugu passed away peacefully in his sleep. To this day, I feel nothing but guilt. Because after that night, my last words to him...became nothing but lies when I had to face reality."
~Flashback ends~