Stark!Reader - You're Gonna Go Far, Kid

A/N- This imagine is based on the song You're Gonna Go Far, Kid by The Offspring. It's been stuck in my head a lot recently and I decided I could use it for a little bit of inspiration. I hope you all enjoy it.

Your father had always been unwilling to admit that you were talented. Of course, he always stuck up your art of the fridge and celebrated your good grades; hell, he even cheered you on at your little league games. But he hated that you were a natural-built hunter.

When you were little you would play spies with your friends and you would kick their butts, even when playing. Tony had been called into the school on one occasion after you had trip one of the other kids and pinned him to the ground. 

"I think we need to discuss Y/N's outbursts," the headmistress had told your father, a small frown on her lips. "It's beginning to become an issue on the playground." Your father had nodded his agreement. "We've had some complaints from other parents."

Tony nodded again. "We'll work on it." 

We'll work on it had actually meant that you would be banned from spending any more time with the people your father worked with. He had never listened to your protests, ignoring your blatant love for sparring and training with the agents.

Eventually, when you had regained a little freedom a few years later, you had begun sneaking around behind his back; only training when he wouldn't be able to find out.

By the time you were eighteen, you were a certified badass, not that Tony would ever notice, hidden away in the lab.

It was Natasha who had first mentioned your skill. You had been sitting at the breakfast table sipping a coffee and flicking through some work before class when she had taken the seat opposite you.

"How long have you been lying to Tony?" The words made you splutter on your coffee and you looked up at her in shock. "Calm down, I'm not going to tell him."

You shrugged slightly. "Four or five years," you paused for a moment, evaluating Nat, "Dad isn't exactly pro me putting myself in danger."

She chuckled, "ironic." 

You laughed, "yeah. You think I'd be used to the hypocrisy of it all by now." 

"So, what?" Nat wrinkled her nose as she thought, "you want to be an agent?"

"More than anything. It's all I've wanted since I was seven."

Nat took a deep breath, "then I'll help you." She shrugged at your surprised expression. "You looked like you were getting pretty good, from what I've seen."

You had started your intense training regime the next morning, sneaking off to the gym to meet with Natasha in secret and spending most of your day being thrown down onto the mats. Nat wasn't about to go easy on you, and you would have been thankful if you weren't covered head to toe in bruises by the end of your first session.

After that, it had seemed to get easier. You were learning quickly and picking up on Nat's little tells. You could tell where and when she would be coming from and were getting pretty good at blocking her attacks.

It was your third week of training when she told you of the change to your plan.

"You're going to be sparring with Bucky today." The words had knocked the air out of you. Nat was good at her job, but Bucky was a super soldier, he had been altered to be a fight-winning machine.

"But," you had started softly.

"I need to know that you're actually getting better," she told you, smiling sweetly at you, "I can't do that if you only ever get to fight me." She paused, watching as you bit your lip. "Look, it was either him or Steve, and I couldn't guarantee that Mr Honesty-is-the-best-policy wouldn't tell your dad."

You nodded slightly. "Okay."

"That's what we like to hear." Nat was smiling as she slapped your shoulder. "Get your stretches done, he'll be here any minute."

Bucky had walked into the gym ten minutes later, dropping a towel and a water bottle down at the side of the mats as he grinned at you. "Morning," he uttered softly, and you simply smiled at him as he began stretching.

"Y/N's been getting really good," Nat told him, lounging on the floor beside the mats. "I can't tell if she learns super quickly or if I'm a brilliant teacher."

Bucky snorted. "She's Stark's kid. She's a quick learner."

"Doubt he'd agree with you," you muttered,  watching as Bucky's eyebrows knitted together for just a second before his face relaxed into a smirk.

"Then you oughta prove him wrong, Kid." Bucky stepped out onto the mat, gesturing for you to join him. "I want you to get me on the mat by the end of the session, understood?"

"Understood," you uttered softly, taking a deep breath. 

You attempted to throw your first punch, but it missed its target as Bucky slid out of your way, leaving you to stumble a few steps forward. You had hardly noticed what was happening before you felt his arm gripping yours behind your back, holding it fixed in place.

"Come on, Y/N..." Bucky paused for a moment, "Nat said you were good.

As he spoke you considered your next mode of attack.  You reached your free hand up, wrapping it around the back of Bucky's neck. With one final deep breath, your launched yourself up into the air, yanking him forward as you landed and flipping him over you and onto his back. He groaned as he landed, causing you to let out a shocked laugh. 

"Told you she's good," Nat chuckled from the edge of the mat. "She taught herself all the basics, just needed a little fine tuning." 

Bucky was laughing as he stood, shaking his arms. "You've got some potential," he told you, smiling. "Might even be able to get you in the field at some point."

*Time Skip*

"You haven't seen what she can do, Tony." Nat had been debating back and forth with your father for gone twenty minutes now, with you sitting next to her like some kid being disciplined. "She's really good, Bucky and I wouldn't be encouraging her to do this if she wasn't."

"No." It was one of the only words he'd said since you'd come into his office, and you were getting a little tired of it.

You lifted your hands, rubbing your palms over your face as you thought about your next move very carefully. "Dad," you started softly, drawing his attention to you, "I understand that you're worried about me, but -"

"No, you don't understand." His words cut you off so forcefully that you forgot how to speak for a moment. "If you understood you never would have been training in the first place. You know my feelings about you getting involved in all of this."

"And you know mine," you bit back, your face set in a deep frown. "All I'm asking is for one chance. Let me show you that I can do this..."

Tony frowned for a moment, looking at the passion behind your eyes, and the heat in your cheeks. "I want to see a training session before I make a decision," he muttered, folding his arms across his chest. "If you look even slightly weak, you keep training until that weakness is gone. Then, and only then, will I let you go out in the field."

The smile that came to your face left his heart happy. You quickly got to your feet, rushing around the table to wrap your arms around your father and kissing his cheek.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x