10. Twoset Football Talent III

A/N: Hi y'all. This is the final instalment of my "Twoset Football Talent" series - what started as a one-shot became a trilogy!  I hope I didn't drag it out for too long, I tried to structure it into distinct parts in an attempt to make it an interesting read.

This first book of mine was originally meant to be a one-shot collection but I've since changed the description to one-shots and short series.

I'm really enjoying writing ATM and the votes and comments I get are such great motivators.  Thank you for your generosity - for your time and trouble you've taken to read my stories and give me comments.

So, previously, in "Twoset Football Talent"...

Brett, a talent scout, takes Eddy on a trial training session to see if Eddy is any good as a soccer player. (Wah, that's 3000 words summarised into 1 sentence!!)

_________________________

"Holy f*ck, Yang, you bastard, where have you been hiding that gem ??"

Brett spat out his coffee onto the pitch, narrowly missing his polished leather shoes as he copped a huge slap on his back from a rival agent. He quickly leaned forward so that the coffee that was now dribbling down his chin didn't drip onto his white shirt. Most of the other talent scout agents were dressed in a T-shirt with jeans or in a football uniform top with tracksuit pants. Brett too would often dress like them, but today, he wanted to look professional to mean business.

What the f*ck, you d*ckhead.

Brett never liked the guy, he was sneaky, deceptive and had no class.

Brett wiped off the coffee from around his mouth with the back of his hand. He was glad he decided to have no sugar in his coffee today.  He let his facial expression return to his signature resting deadpan as he quietly replied.

"I have my sources."

"Hell yeah, you certainly do. Mate, like I could sell that kid to that new team in the Southcoast? I've got really good connections there."

Brett's dead-pan broke. He turned sharply and glared at his rival and he practically growled;

"You have got to be joking. Why the f*ck would I let you sell him to one of the worst teams in State-league when this boy could go A-League with me ?"

All the other agents and coaches on the grandstand who have overheard their conversation went silent.

"...Sh*t, guys, I don't think Yang's gonna let this kid go up for grabs, he's keeping him for himself. I should've guessed when he showed up dressed all fancy, he means real business today. The whole lot of you might as well give up the bidding."

His rival competition (more like just an insignificant acquaintance from Brett's perspective) shrugged and walked off the grandstand.

Brett glanced towards Eddy who was packing up his belongings to get ready to go home. Eddy had held his ground well at his first practice session. Brett had already been approached by the team coach who said he would welcome Eddy to train with the team for the rest of the summer break. The men can be pretty harsh to the new youngsters but Eddy just kept his head down and focused on whatever drills he got to do with the team. At 178cm and his slender build, he was still on the smaller scale among the men and the first thing Eddy said to Brett after getting into Brett's car was that he wished he had another growth spurt.

"Oh geez I haven't felt this small in ages! Like I was one of the taller ones in Taiwan"

"Eddy, you were in a youth team in Taiwan, of course, you'd be huge over there. But honestly, you don't need another growth spurt. I've watched you today, you have great speed and excellent coordination. I have a personal liking for smaller, faster footballers anyway. So on that note, I'd say you don't think about bulking up anytime soon either. You can still do your core strengthening but don't build yourself up into a gorilla, it's just going to slow you down. Your agility and speed is your strength and it's thanks to your current build."