113. Twoset Searcher II

It was another day at the office where Brett and Eddy worked as Knowledgebase Searchers, answering queries from their clients about finding the information they wanted on the database they'd subscribed to.

"Good morning Brett."

"Oh hi, Daniel."

"OMFG have you seen Eddy's new tie? Such a horrible design."

Brett furrowed his brows, trying hard not to look affected.

"...Really? I didn't notice."

"You should take a look at it when he comes back from the loo. It's disgusting."

"Huh... excuse me I gotta make a phone call,"

Brett tapped 0 on his desk phone to get an external line and dialled his home phone number. The call went straight to his answering machine. He pretended he was waiting for someone to answer as he waved goodbye to Daniel. In the meantime, Eddy had returned from the bathroom. Daniel even made a point of tapping Brett's shoulder to get his attention again and signalled with a glance towards Eddy. Brett gave a little nod. Daniel finally left as Eddy took his seat.

Brett hung up his phone and gave out a soft groan.

"What's the matter, Brett?"

"Oh nothing.. ...Eddy, I hope you like your tie. I think it suits you."

Eddy smiled.

"Yeah, I do. Thank you so much for the birthday present. I received some compliments from people already."

Brett smiled back.

"I'm glad."

'Eddy, dunno about you but I find our work environment rather toxic..."

Eddy stopped sipping his coffee and stared at Brett.

"OMG Brett, is it something that I do?"

Brett looked up at his favourite colleague. They were at a quiet café after work.

"Oh heck no, Eddy, why would you even think that? You're the best colleague anyone could wish for..!"

Brett meant that wholeheartedly. Eddy's professionalism and knowledge were purely admirable, he was such a pleasure to work with. In fact, it was the only thing that kept Brett at the place where they worked.

"Eddy, have you noticed there are so many people who gossip and bad-mouth about others at our work."

Eddy leaned into the table towards Brett as he exclaimed.

"YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !! OMFG Brett, it's so bad, isn't it !??!?"

"It's driving me insane. It actually is becoming a mental health hazard for me.."

Eddy flashed a look of concern.

"...Did you hear someone bad-mouthing you, Brett?"

"Actually.. no, but I get a feeling that they are, it's just that I don't get to hear those. It's more about hearing people around me being badmouthed.."

"Yeah, I know what you mean.."

"And it wouldn't be that bad if it was about someone I didn't know well cos I could just say that but..."

"Oh sh*t... Brett, you've been listening to people badmouthing me, aren't you??"

Brett flinched.

"Oh, Eddy.. I'm so sorry, I didn't want you to know. But I'm sure they do the same to you about me?"

"Yeah.. it's okay... I know exactly what you mean..."

Brett sighed.

"Eddy... it's like these people seem to get a kick out of saying bad things about someone and while they're at it they also want to hurt the people who care about them."

...Say what?

Eddy blushed.  He stammered.

"Um... so.. um.. yeah, thanks man."

Brett looked up. He blushed too and scratched his head.

"Um.. yeah.. um... So, what am I meant to do to avoid this sh*t? Today I had to pretend I had to make an urgent call and ended up leaving a random voice message by talking into my voicemail at home."

Eddy giggled.

"That's quite funny. Well, I've been reading up on a few things and I might try this new method tomorrow.... I'll let you know how it goes. Operations Bubbletea."

Brett stared at Eddy.

"How InTeReStInG...!!"

The next day at work, Brett left his seat to get coffees for himself and for Eddy.

"Hey, Eddy."

"Oh hi, Cassandra."

"OMG Eddy, have you seen those shoes Brett's wearing?"

"What about them?"

"I mean, who wears shoes like that these days?"

"Um.. I don't understand. I don't think there's anything wrong with them?"

"Oh please. Did you even have a good look at them? They're hideous."

"Hmm... hey, more importantly, have you tried the new bubble tea place down the road?? The new green tea soda flavour !! It is absolutely epic !! I bet even Brett hasn't tried it yet !!"

"What ?"

"I said I bet even Brett hasn't tried the new green tea soda flavour bubble tea yet !!"

Cassandra rolled her eyes and spat out.

"You and your frickin' bubble teas Eddy, who cares if Brett hasn't tried it yet !!"

"Brett hasn't tried what ?"

Eddy looked up from his seat and Cassandra turned around. Brett was approaching them, with a mug of coffee in each hand, returning to his seat.

"Hey, Cassandra..."

Cassandra completely ignored Brett and walked off. Brett furrowed his brows as he passed one of the mugs to Eddy as he took a sip of his own.

"...what was that all about ?"

Eddy grinned.

"Oh, I was just telling her this new bubble tea flavour I discovered."

'Ew, not that bloody green tea soda flavour?"

"Yeah that really awful one. It was so hideous, wasn't it ? I hope she goes and tries it."

Brett almost spat out his coffee.

Eddy gave a mischievous grin from behind his mug.

"Brett, I think Operations Bubbletea may be a winner. Just change the subject to bubbletea whatever they tell you. They eventually get sick of your bubbletea talk just like I was with their badmouthing."