116. Twoset Firefighters II & Zookeeper V Mashup

A/N: Inspired by some iNtErEsTiNg info and prompts from @dustman22, thank you !! Here is a mashup of the Twoset Firefighters and Twoset Zookeeper series !!

Twoset Firefighters - Brett and Eddy are both firefighters.  Brett has a crush on Eddy.

Twoset Zookeeper - Brett is a zookeeper, Eddy is a concertmaster.  These two met on a speed dating event and are a couple.

Hope you enjoy the story❤

-------------------------------------------------

"...Eddy?"

Concertmaster Eddy noticed the tension in Zookeeper Brett's voice immediately.

"Brett? Is everything okay?"

"Are you at rehearsal at the Opera House?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Um.. have you seen an owl over there ?"

"..I beg your pardon ?"

"We.. lost an owl... a barking owl.."

"...How exactly do you lose an owl, Brett?"

"We had an intern flinch during training and his movement scared her. She flew away, across the harbour towards your way."

Eddy marvelled at Brett's poetic monologue which was probably completely unintentional.

"Ooookay..."

"You'll be walking through the Royal Botanical Gardens during your lunch break, right ?"

"Yeah...I was actually just about to step out...."

"Look, can you do me a favour and look up into the trees... in case you see her?"

"...How would I know it's her?"

"Well, most owls are nocturnal, Eddy.  So if you see an owl awake in a tree in broad daylight, she's likely our escapee from the zoo."

"Oh. Of course. Um... so will she be  barking ?"

"I beg your pardon?"

'Didn't you say she's a barking owl?"

"Yeah but she's really quiet when she's frightened..."

"Hmm.. didn't you tell me at the bird show we watched that you guys put a tracking device on your birds when you let them out for shows?"

"Yeah.. we're looking into that.. yep... Eddy, we've confirmed she's definitely flown your way.. okay.. we're heading out your way now.. good talking to you, I was a bit stressed.. thanks Eddy... If you see her, call me!! Bye!!"

"Good talking to you too Bre.."

Brett had already finished the call.

Eddy imagined it must be one of Brett's more stressful days at work.  Probably tougher than calming down a spitting alpaca.

Firefighter Eddy hung up the phone and called out to his colleague.

"Brett, we're on."

"What is it, Eddy?"

"Animal retrieval."

Firefighter Brett raised an eyebrow.

"Is it a cat?"

"No. Good thing hey cos I know you're not a big fan of cats."

"Well, I suppose I do prefer dogs but they don't get stuck in trees... So.. what is it ?"

"It's a request from the zoo. They lost an owl."

Firefighter Brett raised his other eyebrow.

"Wow, now that's a first."

"Hi, I'm Eddy, fire brigade. This is my colleague Brett."

"Hi, I'm Brett... from the zoo.. I'm Francis' carer."

Firefighter Brett asked;

"Francis ?"

"That's her name. The barking owl's name."

Firefighter Brett asked;

"Does she.. bark..?"

"No, she'd be too frightened to I'd say. She'd be very quiet. You can't even hear her fly so it's quite tricky... my colleague has the tablet here that shows the location from her tracking device..."

Zookeeper Brett passed the tablet to the Firefighters.  Firefighters Eddy and Brett started their discussion;

"Okay... so... she's in the north side of the park.. hopefully within one of these bunch of trees..."

"Brett !!!"

Both Zookeeper Brett and Firefighter Brett turned around. Zookeeper Brett responded.

"Eddy...!!"

The two firefighters looked at each other, then looked at the tall man running over towards them.

"Brett, I was just about to call you. I think I saw her up in the tree over there...!"

Zookeeper Brett exclaimed;

"OMG thank you Eddy...!! We were just about to check the trees... which one was it !??"

Firefighter Eddy turned to Concertmaster Eddy;

"So um.. Eddy, was it? How far up the tree was the owl ?"

"It was way up... like if it was this tree here, it would be at least up to where its branch splits like a tuning fork..."

"..What's a tuning fork?"

"I mean.. like a letter U..."

"Okay, I'm gonna radio the guys to bring in the cherry picker. Eddy can you lead my colleague Brett to the tree please? I'll catch up with you guys."

Firefighter Eddy spoke into his radio transmitter as he walked off.

The Concertmaster Eddy replied;

"Okay.. this way guys."

Zookeeper Brett spoke up.

"Look guys, can we please try to keep this low-key and quiet as possible.. I don't want to frighten her again and let her fly away.."

Firefighter Brett replied;

"We'll do our best Brett."

Concertmaster Eddy placed his hand on Zookeeper Brett shoulder as he spoke;

"Look Brett, I tried to keep it subtle, I just saw her and kept walking.. took out my phone and was just about to ring you when I saw you guys ahead of me. Hopefully, no one else has noticed yet."

Zookeeper Brett smiled.

"Thanks, Eddy, I really appreciate this."

Firefighter Brett looked at the two.

"Are you guys.. together?"

Zookeeper Brett smiled.

"Yeah."

"Hey, that's nice... You guys look great together."

"Thank you."

In the next instant, the three men froze when they heard the loud beeping sound of the cherry-picker approaching.

Concertmaster Eddy said;

"That's bad, isn't it??"

Zookeeper Brett responded;

"Yes, that's very bad!!"

Firefighter Brett said;

"I'll go stop it...!!"

And he sprinted off back the way they came from, towards the direction the cherry-picker was approaching them.

To be continued...