191. Twoset Barista II

Eddy enjoyed catching up with Shaun and waved at him goodbye as his friend left the café with his takeaway ice coffee. Once Shaun had left, Eddy felt he didn't have to suppress his sadness anymore and frowned.

"...Is everything okay, Eddy? May I get you anything else?"

It was Brett who came by Eddy's table to collect the empty coffee mugs. Eddy was tempted to ask for another usual and see what Brett would make for him.

"Brett.."

"Yes?"

Eddy stared at Brett's warm smile and Brett gazed back at him.

I initially found it amusing that Brett kept making me different coffees. I thought it was endearing, just like how he spelt my name in so many variations with his iNtErEsTiNg handwriting... So why am I all of a sudden feeling ...a bit pissed at him?

"So Eddy, I didn't know you were friends with Shaun."

Eddy looked at Brett sternly.

"So, is he your friend too? He said he hadn't been here for 6 months and you still remembered his order..."

Eddy felt a pang of... what he could only call jealousy.

For what? For Brett remembering Shaun's order and knowing how to spell his name?

"Oh, Shaun is just a customer... I just remembered his order.."

OMG that makes it sound even f*cking worse!? So I'm not even a customer worth remembering my order or the spelling of my name?

"Oh.. I thought.. well, I thought he must have made quite an impression on you for you to remember his usual order if even after 6 months.. Look, excuse me... I think I better just get going.."

Eddy picked up his bag and stood up from his chair.

Brett bit his lower lip.

"Eddy.. please, hang on for a sec."

Eddy stopped and looked at Brett.

"...What is it, Brett?"

"Do you mind.. sitting down again.. please?"

Eddy shrugged and sat back down in his seat.

"Look Eddy, may I get you another coffee..? It will be on the house.. as in, my shout. Latte.. with no sugar?"

Eddy stared at Brett.

"My.. usual?"

"Yeah."

"Why..?"

"I overheard Shaun make a comment about your order. I.. I am so sorry Eddy."

Eddy stared at Brett in shock.

"Okay.. so what's with all the different coffees?"

"I.. I got forgetful."

"And what about the spelling of my name?"

" I... I'm such a cr*ppy speller...!"

Eddy bit his lower lip.

"Brett.. that's all just bullsh*t. You remembered Shaun's order? And I think Shaun has more variations in spelling than Eddy."

"I.. I'm sorry.. it won't happen again.."

"Brett, I'm not one of those snobby people who get cranky just because someone spells my name wrong."

"No, I never thought you were like that. But it must look bad if I've been misspelling your name wrong when I can spell Shaun's name correctly."

"...Yeah, just a bit."

Eddy blushed.

"Oh my god, that sounds so stupid.. it does sound snobby. I'm sorry Brett, it really shouldn't be a big deal.. it's just that I was a bit disappointed.. But the name thing wasn't as bad as the coffee order..."

"I know.. I know.. I'm really sorry.."

"I don't understand Brett.. why would you do that ?"

"I.. I just wanted you to know that I didn't do it on purpose.."

"Brett!!"

Brett and Eddy both turned towards where the voice came from. It was Brett's colleague calling out for help with the coffee queue which was now snaking out of their shop.

"Sh*t.. I.. I'm sorry Eddy I have to go.."

"Of course Brett.. you should go. I should get going myself anyway."

Brett quickly placed a paper coffee cup with a plastic lid on the table.

"Eddy.. please take this."

"I.. I don't want another coffee.."

"Please, take it."

Eddy sighed and picked up the cup. It was very light. Eddy widened his eyes.

"Please Eddy, take it with you. Thanks."

Brett rushed back behind the counter to serve the waiting customers.

Eddy had no idea why Brett would give him an empty cup. He was quite annoyed by the whole situation, he was tempted to just leave the cup behind on the table and go. But he saw the desperate look on Brett's face. Eddy didn't like the idea of leaving rubbish on the table either. He also didn't like the idea of disposing of the cup in front of Brett – he thought that would be hurtful, to see Eddy throw the cup in the bin right in front of his eyes. So he grabbed the cup by the top and left, thinking he'd just throw it away once he was outside the coffee shop.