190. Twoset Barista

"Oh, hi Eddy, how are you this morning? Your usual?"

Eddy raised his eyebrows in surprise, then smiled as he gazed at the cute barista in front of him. Dead straight pitch-black hair, strong eyebrows and kind eyes. Smooth perfect fair skin. Beautiful hands.

Why haven't I noticed him before? My usual? How sweet.

The thing was, Eddy had only been to this café to buy a coffee ONCE before. He quickly noted the barista's nametag as he replied.

"Good morning Brett. Yes, my.. usual thanks, latte with no sugar."

"Of course."

"Here you go Eddy, I hope you have a nice day."

"Ta. You too, Brett."

Eddy picked up the coffee cup and took a sip. The coffee was made perfectly to his liking. He smiled, then noticed the chicken scratch writing that spelt Eddie. Eddy fondly traced the strange combination of lines that barely spelt out his name as he smiled again.

The next day

"Oh, hi Eddy, how are you this morning? Your usual?"

"Hi Brett, yes please, thanks."

"Here you go Eddy, I hope you have a nice day."

"Thanks, Brett, you too, see ya."

Eddy picked up the coffee cup and noticed the chicken scratch writing that spelt Eddy.

Oh, so he got my name right this time? I wonder how. Anyway, that's great...

Eddy took a sip of his coffee and almost spat it out. It was a long black, which Eddy wouldn't have minded, but it had at least 3 spoonfuls of sugar added to it...!!

The day after that

"Oh, hi Eddy, how are you this morning? Your usual?"

"Hi Brett. Um.. yes please, thanks."

"Of course."

By now, Eddy was intrigued by Brett's bizarre customer service, he had decided what would happen if he didn't remind Brett that his order was a latte without sugar.

"Here you go Eddy, I hope you have a nice day."

"Thank you Brett, I hope you have a nice day, too."

Eddy picked up his coffee cup and this time his name was spelt Eddee with Brett's chicken scratch writing.

WTF.

Eddy took a sip of his coffee and scrunched up his face. It was a very strong black coffee, stronger than the long black he got the day before, he thought it may possibly be what's called a lungo. Eddy was genuinely confused. Was the guy suffering from amnesia? Did he have no intention of actually learning Eddy's order and just decided to randomly make whatever coffee he felt like? And how many variations can this guy come up with to spell Eddy?!?

The day after that

"Eddy!!"

"Hi Shaun, great to see you again, mate."

"So this is your favourite coffee place at the moment?  Great choice, thanks for suggesting to catch up here, I used to love this place too."

Eddy pushed open the coffee shop door as the two of them stepped inside.

"Oh, you've been here before?"

"Yeah.. Oh hi Brett, long time no see."

"Oh wow.. don't tell me, Shaun, right ? Yeah it's been a while, great to see you! The usual?"

Shaun smiled.

"Wow, it's been at least 6 months..and yet.. man, you're good. Yes please Brett. Oh and an iced coffee, no sugar to take away with me."

"Of course."

Brett nodded, then flashed a warm smile to Eddy.

"And hello to you too Eddy, the usual?"

Eddy was taken aback but quickly composed himself and replied.

"Yes. Yes please, thanks Brett."

Shaun paid for the coffees and the two young men grabbed a table to sit at.

"Wow Eddy, this place hasn't changed. I used to come here often before I changed jobs.. I used to work right around the corner from here."

Eddy gave a wry smile.

"Yeah? Hope you still find the coffee good."

"Oh I'm sure I will since that Brett guy is still here. He's such a great barista, knows everyone's names and orders off by heart..."

Eddy gave out a wry smile again.

"Um.. yeah..."

"Thank you for waiting guys, here are your coffees."

"Thank you Brett."

"Hope you enjoy them."

Brett flashed a warm smile, then turned away to go back to the counter as Shaun exclaimed;

"OMG Eddy since when do you drink espressos? Where's your usual latte?"

Eddy quickly stammered;

"Oh. I'm just cutting down on the fat from the milk.."

"Oh. Fair enough. Like, I don't think it's necessary but it makes sense."

After checking that Brett was no longer within an earshot, Eddy asked Shaun softly;

"So Shaun, what's your coffee?"

"Oh, it's a double shot cafe breve. It has both cream and milk in it."

Shaun took a sip.

"Oh yeah, tastes perfect as it always did. Gosh that guy makes the best coffees."

"Yeah."

Eddy smiled. He glanced at the takeaway plastic coffee cup which had "Shaun" scribbled onto it with Brett's handwriting.

So Shaun never had his order messed up nor had his name spelt incorrectly? Isn't Shaun harder to spell than Eddy?

To be continued...