161. La Mort meets Guardian II

A/N: This thing just keeps writing itself...!! 🤔What was originally meant to be a one-shot turned into a duology, then trilogy... and now here's the 4th chapter.   Whoopsie 😆. The previous chapters are;

158. Twoset La Mort

159. Twoset Guardian

160. La Mort meets Guardian

--------------------------------------------

"May I have a taste of yours?"

La Mort Brett looked up from his bubble tea to cast his eyes onto the handsome angel who sat across the small table in the bubble tea shop. Brett thought it was rather unusual to be asked to share his drink but he simply shrugged, placed his bubble tea cup onto the table and pushed it across towards Guardian Eddy. Eddy picked up the cup and placed the straw into his mouth and took a sip. He threw his head back in surprise.

"Wow... geez, Death has a sweet tooth."

He handed Brett back his bubble tea.

Brett smirked as he received his drink back.

"La Mort please, if you would be so kind. And yes so what if I do Angel, ya have a problem with that?"

"La Mort, Guardian for me, please. What was that, full sugar?"

Brett grinned.

"Yeah, I like things sweet."

"Just like you are"

Brett pretended to snicker.

"Just who ya think ya callin' sweet, sweet Angel?"

Eddy gave Brett a death stare for calling him an angel.

Brett smiled.

"I beg your pardon, sweet Guardian. So.. what exactly is that look you are giving me?  So frightening."

Eddy raised an eyebrow.

"It's.. it's meant to be my death stare."

Brett chuckled.

"That has to be the most adorable death stare I've ever received."

Eddy blushed. He then shrugged.

"Okay, fine. I suppose I can't compete with the pro. Go on, show me how it's really done."

"Nah.. we just met today Eddy, I don't want to scare you away. Besides, it gives me wrinkles so I'd rather smile at you."

Eddy was taken aback. He was used to giving and receiving affection, it came with the job but knowing Brett was a La Mort and still being able to dish it out like a pro threw him.

"How can you be so... sweet, Brett?"

Brett took another sip from his bubble tea then looked up at Eddy then repeated what he had said a minute ago before they started flirting. He was perfectly happy to go another round. But he decided not to trigger Eddy;

"Just who ya think ya callin' sweet, sweet Guardian?"

"Well, you do sound like you are Brett. I've never met a La Mort who would take the time to speak to their clients to make their passing easier for them and their loved ones. I think what you do is incredible. No wonder your work statistics are out of this world."

"Well, what my colleagues do... didn't appeal to me.. y'know, practically whacking people on their D-day with that stupid scythe and dragging them away. It's cruel. What a way to go."

"...Pardon my ignorance but your colleagues don't actually whack people with their scythe do they?"

"Well.. metaphorically speaking, it's meant to cut the attachment of their spirit to their body. But I don't buy it. The scythe is blunt as a kids plastic knife anyway. Mine has been left in my locker since the day I started. Geez, I just remembered I got into trouble with HR for that as well. Lucky my counsellor was too busy reprimanding me about my uniform he didn't get around to that."

"Hmm.. it must be like my halo."

"Oh yeah.. I was wondering about that. Where is it?"

"In my locker like your scythe. I've never worn it. It's ...embarrassing."

"Really? I think you'd look adorable with it."

Eddy blushed and stammered.

"Th..that's the whole point...! In case you didn't notice, I, I don't wanna look adorable when I work...!!"

Brett grinned.

"Fair enough. Well.. maybe you could be adorable and wear your halo just for me when we see each other next time?"

"W..what??"

"Will you see me again?"

Eddy was speechless.

"Eddy, we have a lot in common."

Eddy's jaw dropped.

"Common? Did you just say common!? That's ridiculous Brett, we can't be more opposite to each other if we tried!"

"But we're opposite to start off with! And we're opposite again.. which makes us the same in so many ways...!!"

"...You're just trying to confuse me, Brett."

"No...! I actually really like you Eddy."

Eddy recoiled in horror.  Brett looked hurt by Eddy's response.  For a grim reaper, he was very sensitive.

"Eddy.. why do you look as if I just spat in your face?"

"I... I'm not good with affection."

Brett furrowed his eyebrows.

"Eddy, you're an ang.. a guardian for f*ck sake. Aren't you like cousins with cupid?"

"No!! A lot of people mix us all up.. it's like calling me a Taiwanese Asian... with an analogy like that, Cupid is not only a completely different nationality but from a different continent.

Brett looked confused.

"Whaaaat!?"

"Nevermind Brett, I'm just a bit flustered...I just blurt out cr*p when I'm nervous.  I dunno what I'm talking about either."

Brett let out a chuckle. He reached out and held Eddy's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Date me, Eddy. Please."

As suave as he tried to look as he asked Eddy out, Brett was actually nervous AF.  The next instant Eddy heard the sound of some fabric tearing and an enormous set of black wings... 12 of them, had sprouted out from Brett's back.  The longest part of his wings almost reached the ceiling of the small bubble tea parlour.  Eddy sat back in his chair, mouth agape in shock.

"Oh f*ck, sorry Eddy I didn't mean to startle you.. it can happen when I'm really nervous or startled. I haven't had this happen in a while, how embarrassing.  At least the only collateral damage is my T shirt, I'm so glad I took off my jacket when we sat down..!!"