145. Twoset Gen β IV

Brett's POV

I had stepped into Eddy's personal space. He would've been allowed to slap me for that. Well, in the figure of speech since any type of contact including slapping was prohibited in our era. But either he didn't mind me standing so close to him or he was too overwhelmed to respond.

I knew he'd grown taller than me by the time he was 15. But we never got to stand this close to each other to compare heights. Eddy was being so shy and had his head down so I peered up into his masked face.

Consent was a big thing. I couldn't just force myself onto him. Like how I just told little Eddy to remove his mask 5 years ago. That wasn't right.

I reached out both of my hands and took his. He flinched on initial contact, then he just let me hold his hands. This action alone was considered sAcRiLeGiOuS and made me think I might get struck by lightning. Then Eddy must have made a decision of some sort because he raised his face and looked at me with a blazing stare, as he raised his hands and lead mine to the side of his face. He was willing to go further. OMG bring on the thunder and lighting, see if I f*cking care.

Eddy's POV

I can't believe I'm allowing this.

I haven't shaved in 3 days. My stupid tan line. My bloody zits. It is not a good look.

Brett has none of what I've got hidden under my mask. What if he recoiled in horror when he saw it all?

But I would be an absolute idiot to pass up on an opportunity like this, to experience this kind of intimacy with him. If he is saying that he wants to see my face, for whatever reason, then I would let him see my bloody face. Otherwise no doubt I'd die of regret.

"Brett, please just don't expect anything great.. like the way you look."

Brett's POV

Huh?

"Eddy, what the f*ck do you mean?"

"I.. I haven't shaved in 3 days. My tan line. My zits. It is not a good look."

"You already told me that. Or they're things I can expect. It's okay Eddy."

I got the nod.

My fingers brushed against his ears as I was carefully unhooking the elastic of the mask and he let out a little gasp as he flinched. I then remembered he once told me he was super ticklish. I've known him for years and I finally get to find out for myself how he really is. He then closed his eyes tight, I think it was so that he could stay still.

When I finally removed his mask and saw his face for the first time I finally understood. It was like unwrapping a present. A very special, very precious gift.

Someone I've cared about summoned up their courage to show me his vulnerability.

It was beautiful. And it was very overwhelming. Heart-wrenchingly overwhelming.

But why did he look so scared? How stupid can he be? Or how stupid does he think I am?

I cupped his cheeks with my hands.

"Eddy, c'mon, it's me."

Eddy's POV

I shot opened my eyes and I saw him smiling at me. So. Very. Close.

I felt naked. Well I suppose my face was. This was a big deal in our era.

I don't know how he kept a straight face looking at me. I was so scared he'd recoil or scoff or..

"Eddy, c'mon, it's me."

He read my mind.

I smiled.

He smiled even more.

And his face moved in, closer and closer to mine.

When I thought he couldn't move in any closer, he stopped.

He ever so slightly tilted his head like he was asking me a question and I gave an ever so slight nod to say yes.

He then did move in closer and sealed my lips with his.

I think I may have momentarily blacked out.

Moments later I noticed my heart was beating so fast my ears were ringing.

My knees may have given away because when I heard Brett's soft giggles tickle my ear I realised I was being held up by his hug.

While I held onto him and fumbled around struggling to stand upright I heard him whisper into my ear.

"F*ck Eddy, I now do get what you mean. I now so wish you'd shown me your face 5 years ago. You may have not been as adorable as you are now but I'm sure you would've come pretty close."

..I could only conclude that he'd have to be in love with me to say something that frickin' crazy.

My name is Eddy Chen.

I was born in the year 2030. I am Generation β (Beta), those that were born from 2025 to 2039.  In 2019, eleven years prior to my birth, a global pandemic broke out.

I grew up in "a new normal" as the media called it. Half of my schooling was done online and our generation grew up, missing out on many face to face activities.  I thought I'd miss out on my first kiss. Or falling in love. Like can we even fall in love without contact? Doesn't everyone want to hold the love of your life, to hold onto each other so that the two of you don't drown in each others' lust? Not that you really mind if you did. In fact, that would've been exactly what you both wanted.

So, yes, I was indeed one of the very, very lucky ones.

--------------------------------------------

A/N: This concludes the 4 parts short story of "Twoset Gen β".  I hope you enjoyed it !!