137. Twoset Veterinarian VIII (Blink for benevolence 4)

A/N: This is the fourth and final chapter of a short story within the setting of Twoset Veterinarian. Please start reading from Twoset Veterinarian V.

---------------------------------

"Eddy...!! Eddy...!!"

"Mr Yang? Are you with the patient... Mr... Dr Eddy Chen?"

"Y.. yes..!!!"

"Okay.. it's good you got him here quick.. he's going to be okay.."

"Oh thank goodness for that.. Thank you..! Thank you...!!"

"He was drugged with ketamine hydrochloride"

"W..what???"

Brett shook his head in confusion. His face was covered with tears.

"I.. beg your pardon..?? Keta.. what?"

"Ketamine hydrochloride. Look, did you say the patient, your partner was a veterinarian?"

Brett replied through sobs.

"Yes. Yes he is."

"Well he should be familiar with this drug by another name then."

Eddy woke up. The last thing he remembered was Brett as a cat, glaring at him, fighting to hold himself back so that he would not attack Eddy. Things were going so well, considering how weird everything was. Then... Eddy wasn't even sure what triggered Brett. It was very out of character of Brett as a human, he was rarely aggressive. But then, as a cat, he probably couldn't be blamed for being temperamental - cats can be playful one minute then lash out the next. They say that cats are not completely domesticated like dogs are... Be that as it may, it was still heartbreaking to be rejected like that.. even though Eddy knew deep down that Brett had to reject Eddy in order to protect him. But he was scared. He was scared for himself and also for Brett. How much longer could they go on like this? Eddy closed his eyes tightly again. He initially thought he must have cried himself to sleep in their bedroom. Then he noticed the bed felt different. He slowly opened his eyes again and noticed the room was different. And Eddy could not move his body. He widened his eyes in panic.

"Eddy..?"

Brett's face came into his field of vision. He looked like Brett. He was in human form. Eddy's eyes immediately softened with relief and his vision quickly blurred with tears.

"Hey Eddy.. you're okay now."

Eddy tried to stir. Brett quickly reached out both of his hands and gently placed them on Eddy's shoulders.

"Shhh, don't move.. you'll be more comfortable staying still.. even though it must not be particularly comfortable at the moment... I'm sorry.."

Eddy tried to ask what was going on and for the first time he noticed something felt odd in his throat. He let out a little moan in discomfort. His eyes widened again.

"Eddy, they had to pump your stomach and intubate you."

Eddy was confused. He couldn't remember anything.

Eddy tried to lift his arms and realised he was strapped to the bed.

"Eddy.. your drink was spiked. You were drugged with a hallucinogen."

Eddy's eyes widened with fear again.

"We were out for dinner at a pub. You must have taken a big swig of your spiked drink when you had that hot curry.. You realised almost immediately, you tried to throw up in the bathroom but said you couldn't and told me to take you to hospital and started.. acting strangely shortly after that.. I .. I had to call an ambulance. Some weird drug.. I.. I couldn't remember the chemical name.. but when I told the doctors that you're a vet, they said you'd know it.. it's called Special K."

Eddy gave an ever so slight nod. It was a common aesthetic given to cats. There were lots of breaking and entering of Veterinarian clinics when word got out that ketamine hydrochloride acted as a strong hallucinogen on humans.

Brett noticed Eddy started to shake. Brett held the sides of Eddy's cheeks and looked into Eddy's eyes.

"Hey.. it's okay.. the doctors assured me that you're going to be okay... alright??"

Brett held an intense stare for a few seconds, then he slowly closed his eyes then reopened them.

"Eddy.. trust me..??"

Eddy reciprocated by blinking back slowly. Tears flowed as he closed his eyes. He reopened his eyes to meet Brett's gaze.

Yes I trust you. I love you.

Eddy sighed as he whispered in a raspy voice. His throat still felt scratchy.

"It's good to be home."

"I bet it is. You need to still take it easy though. Go on, straight to bed."

Eddy croaked as he struggled to talk with a sore throat.

"Brett, will you come to join me?"

Brett smiled.

"Of course I will. I'll fix us a warm drink first and bring it over, okay?"

Eddy nodded as he walked towards the bedroom. His cat Pag approached him to say welcome home to his master. Eddy kneeled down and held Pag's little head with both of his hands. Pag's head was about the size of an onion. It was ridiculously tiny. He neared his face and rubbed noses together, then he held his stare and slowly blinked at his favourite cat. Pag returned the blink. Eddy smiled. Using his thumbs, he gently massaged around Pag's ears. Pag let out a purr. It was like a soft little rattle compared to what Eddy remembered when he was dreaming.. or hallucinating.. the diesel engine rumble of Brett's purr.

Brett stood behind Eddy with a tray of drinks.

"Hey, c'mon Eddy. We know Pag loves you and you two can do some more catching up later. For now, off to bed."

Eddy turned around as he stood up and whispered.

"So Brett, where did you learn about that?"

"What, the blinking thing? You don't remember? You were telling me about it over dinner, just before you took your spiked drink..."

"Brett.. I don't remember much before I took the drug... But man, I remember I had the weirdest hallucination when I was tripping."

They entered the bedroom.

"Really? What happened, Eddy?"

Eddy looked at Brett and smirked.

"You were adorable."

Brett pouted.

"Y'call that a hallucination? I'm offended."

Eddy gave out a chuckle.

"Fair enough. That alone goes without saying. But oh Brett, you haven't heard nothin' yet."

A/N: This is the end of the four chapter mini-series Blink for benevolence within the Twoset Veterinarian series, I hope you enjoyed it...!!