122. Twoset Firefighters VIII / Competitors VI Mashup III

Even after the group finished their warm up exercises and had their first water break, Firefighter Brett was still feeling a bit down. He knew moping around over something that could not be rectified straight away was pointless though, especially when he already knew what he had to do. He just had to strengthen up if he wanted to remain as a good working partner for Eddy. Eddy deserved someone as strong as he was to work with. Brett knew he should be grateful that he was given an opportunity to realise this as well. Brett stood lost in thought when he felt a familiar hand on his shoulder.

"Brett...?"

Brett turned around. Of course it was Eddy.

"...yeah?"

"Mate, are you alright?"

Firefighter Brett shrugged. His colleague Eddy just seemed to always know when he was feeling a bit down.

Brett gave a wry smile.

"I gotta strengthen up a bit more, hey. I felt like I let you down as a partner in that first warm up exercise where I had to carry you."

Eddy shrugged.

"Well...I did put on a fair bit of weight from all that weight training leading up to the photoshoot... I'm actually trying to trim off the excess now."

Brett raised an eyebrow.

"OMG Eddy, you're not overweight by a long shot."

Eddy let out a chuckle.

"Yeah I know, but I actually feel kinda heavy when I move so.. hopefully I can drop a few kilos and you'd be able to carry me just fine like you've done in previous training sessions."

"Eddy.. are you sure you don't want someone as tall and as strong as you as a partner?"

Eddy raised an eyebrow.

"What, instead of you? No f*cking way, don't be ridiculous."

Brett looked up towards Eddy. Eddy's gaze back towards Brett was stern, as were his words.

"...That was a really stupid thing to say, Brett. You don't spend years building up trust with someone you can trust your life with.. then just change at some f*cking whim"

"Sorry.. I was a bit messed up. Look, I'm afraid I can't grow any taller but I'm determined to train up so that I can lift and run with you on my shoulders just as fast as the other guys, okay?"

Eddy grinned.

"That's more like it. Just let me know whenever you want to pRaCtIcE. You can carry me and run around whenever you like."

With that comment, Brett's brain wiring short circuited yet again and he had to make a quick exit.

"I... I need to get a drink..!"

Instructor Brett watched the two Firefighters talking and carefully observed the face of the taller man as the shorter darted away.

"...Eddy."

"Yes Brett?"

"I get what you mean now. That tall guy does look an awful lot like you. And his name is Eddy, too."

"Really? Had you had a look at the other guy? He looks as if he's your twin!"

"Hmm, I didn't notice that."

"Well I can't see myself looking like that guy either. I suppose it's harder to recognise your own doppelganger. Hey, Brett I'm just gonna duck out and get a drink from the bubbler...I need to refill"