129. Twoset Pre-school II

Brett struck a few notes out of his xylophone, then looked around to see how his best friend Eddy was going.

---------------------------------------------

Eddy frowned at the rainbow coloured xylophone and sighed.

"Eddy? What's wrong?"

Eddy was lying down on his tummy in front of his xylophone. He looked up and saw Brett towering over him with his own rainbow coloured xylophone under his arm. Eddy pouted and replied sadly.

" Only 8 sounds..."

Eddy slowly bumped the mallet along the xylophone, playing a scale. Brett grinned. He sat down next to Eddy, placing his xylophone in front of him.

"Eddy, do you want to play a game with me?"

Eddy smiled.

"Okay."

"Okay, which sound is this one? No peeking!!"

Eddy quickly dropped his mallet, closed his eyes and covered them with his little hands. He listened. He then removed his hands from his eyes and frowned again.

"Brett... colour... wait..."

Eddy put his head down next to his xylophone, then started striking each bar of his xylophone in order as he stared at each bar. Brett scooted backwards on his bottom and pulled his xylophone closer to himself so that he was behind Eddy.  This way he could play the notes without Eddy seeing his xylophone.  After Eddy played his 8th note, he sat up and smiled at Brett.

"Okay, ready."

Eddy then turned away and waited.  Brett shrugged and played a note. It was the first one on the left side of the xylophone, the C. As each bar was coloured like a rainbow, this bat was red. Eddy had his little back turned towards Brett and was staring at his own xylophone to check the colours.

"Red."

Brett exclaimed;

"Yes! Well done Eddy!"

Eddy turned around and smiled shyly.

"Okay Eddy ready for the next one?"

Eddy nodded and quickly turned away from Brett.

Brett played another note. This time the F.

"Green"

"Yes!!"

Brett played another note. This time the A.

"Go"

"What?"

"Ummmmm... Digo?"

Brett smiled.

"Yeah, it's indigo Eddy, well done!!"

Eddy turned around and smiled.

Brett tilted his head in wonder.

"Eddy?"

Eddy mimicked Brett and tilted his head too as he answered.

"Yes?"

"Can I borrow your mallet?"

"..let?"

"This thing. The thing you use to hit the xylophone."

"Okay."

"Thank you. Are you ready?"

Eddy quickly turned his back towards Brett again.

Now armed with two mallets, Brett struck two notes at once. C and E.

"Red and yellow"

Brett bit his lower lip and furrowed his brows.

Eddy turned around smiling but when he saw the expression on his favourite person Eddy started to get anxious.

"Brett?"

"Oh Eddy. Well done!! You were right!!"

Eddy looked relieved and smiled.

"Eddy... if I go and get Miss Hanna, will you show her how we play this game to her?"

Eddy remembered Miss Hanna from his orientation day. She was a young and pretty classroom assistant. He liked her. He smiled.

"Okay."

"...Really, Brett?"

Brett tugged on Miss Hanna's hand.

"Yes! Please come and have a look."

"Oookay... So Eddy is your friend that started today with you, right ? He's a bit smaller than you isn't he? I think he's 4 years old? Oh there he is. Awww... Hi Eddy, I'm Miss Hanna. Your friend Brett told me that you guys are playing a really cool game. Can I play too?"

Eddy smiled.

"Okay Miss Hanna."

Miss Hanna sat down cross-legged next to Eddy who had gone back lying on the floor in front of his own xylophone. Brett was behind the two with his own xylophone.

"Ready?"

"Yes!"

Brett played two notes at once. Ms Hanna raised both eyebrows in surprise as she turned around.

"Oh my goodness Brett, that was two notes!!"

She was about to say that it would be a bit too tricky for Eddy when she noticed Eddy whispered shyly;

"...Orange and green."

Miss Hanna turned to Eddy.

"...Say what? Orange...D and green...F? OMG. Brett, do another one, please"

Brett played two notes again.

G and B

Hanna stared at the 4 year old next to her.

Eddy lifted his head up and smiled at her.

"blue and ... let!"

"Let?"

"Ummmm... olet?"

"Ooooh, violet!! OMG!!

Miss Hanna took Eddy's hand and lead him to the corner of the room. Eddy fidgeted nervously as he turned around to look at Brett. Brett waved at Eddy and nodded to him to reassure him that he will be okay. Eddy was brought to where the 3.5 octave xylophone was. As it was secured onto a stand, from Eddy's perspective it actually looked more like an ironing board. Miss Hanna asked Eddy to stay a few steps away from the xylophone while she manipulated the stand to position it as low as possible.

"Eddy, I think you might like playing this. See how it has so many more bars ?"

"Bars?"

"Yes, it will give you more...sounds."

Miss Hanna dragged the mallet along the bars, playing the whole 3.5 octaves. Eddy's face lit up.