68. Twoset Fortune Teller

"Good evening young man, would you like a chat?"

"...Me?"

"Yes. Is everything okay?"

"Um... look, I don't have any money."

"That's okay. Pro bono."

"..What does that mean?"

"Free consultation for those who are struggling financially. Please take a seat."

Eddy sat down in the chair offered to him by the young man who sat behind a small desk covered with a white table cloth. He had a handmade sign that said "Fortune teller" scribbled on it in one of the messiest hand-writings Eddy had ever seen. Actually it was misspelt "Fortune teler".  Eddy thought he was the dodgiest fortune teller he had ever seen.

"I'm Brett by the way. What's your name?"

"Um.. can't you just tell?"

Brett smiled.

"No. I'm a fortune teller, not a clairvoyant."

"Oh.. sorry. I'm Eddy."

"Nice to meet you Eddy. So, what's been bothering you."

"Um..."

Eddy cast his eyes down towards his lap.

"Hey.. are you okay?"

"Um.. yeah... I haven't had someone ask me that in a while..."

"Take your time. You're a student. School must be hard at the moment. You must be under a lot of pressure to meet very high expectations... particularly those by your parents?"

Eddy looked up with his tears filled eyes.

"OMG, how could you tell?!"

Brett smiled.

"Just by simple observation, Eddy. You're in school uniform. I recognise it. It's the senior uniform for one of the top schools in this area. You're Asian. Wouldn't take more than 2 brain cells."

"Oh..."

Eddy may have given out a chuckle if he hadn't been so tense.

"There's something else though.. Most students from that school of yours are feeling academic pressure. But there seems to be more on your shoulders. Do you want to tell me about it?"

"Um...."

Brett sat back into his chair and smiled. He tried to give Eddy some space and time to speak. However, Eddy remained silent, either lost or trapped in thought.

"Eddy?"

"...I.. I don't know where to start."

"May I start then?"

Eddy gave a puzzled look, then nodded.

"Okay... may I see your palm to help me out a bit please ?"

Eddy looked at Brett then shrugged his shoulders as he held out his hand.

Brett took Eddy's hand with both of his hands. Brett's hands were significantly smaller than Eddy's and surprisingly smooth and delicate. Brett closed his eyes as he gently held Eddy's hand for while then he started to study his palm. Brett gently traced parts of Eddy's palm with his fingertips.

"Eddy, I think.. you're sad because.. you are misunderstood. This happens a lot to you and it upsets you but you rarely show it. But I think your cup is getting full and it's about to overflow."

Eddy shot a stern look at Brett.

"OMG... why... how..."

Eddy covered his face with his other hand and started to cry quietly.