141. Twoset Teachers XIV

A/N: So this miniseries started as a writing challenge piece but I liked the story so much that I decided to write a sequel.  Hope you like it.

The previous chapter for this story is;

  1. Potions - my favourite subject 

which can be found in 128. Twoset Teachers XIII

----------------------------------------

2. Devotion – do it for me

The next morning Brett was flapping his arms and wailing in the school corridor in front of his "colleague", Eddy.

"OMFG Eddy, why didn't you tell me about that stupid rule...!!"

Eddy looked around in panic, checking that there was no one else around to listen in on their conversation.

"OMG Brett, will you please keep your voice down!! You don't need to shout, I can hear you!! And for the record, I DID try to warn you, you just walked off with my wand, remember??"

Brett and Eddy had arrived at school early. They were both wizards working as casual school teachers and were waiting in the corridor outside the school administration office to sign in and receive their timetable for the day. Yesterday they were both filling in for a science teacher but the type of classes they were assigned to varied by the day.

"Eddy..I almost died reading my spellbook last night. Why is this the first time I heard of this rule? I mean it's so random !!"

"Um.. we did learn it when we were at school Brett.. but it's not relevant to most and so you probably never paid attention to it till... u know."

"No Eddy, I don't know. Till what ?"

Eddy mumbled.

"..Till it did become relevant...?"

Brett covered his face with his hands and groaned.

"This is so embarrassing..."

"Brett, didn't your parents tell you not to share wands or you'd get cooties?"

Brett looked up and scoffed.

"Oh c'mon Eddy, even I know that's an imaginary affliction...!!"

"Yeah but these childlores are told for a reason...."

"Eddy.. I'm a 29 years old man of human age and I now have to be careful not to catch cooties so that I don't accidentally fire off my wand? In fact, that was actually your wand in my hand...!!"

Eddy had to try so hard not to burst out laughing. Eddy being an avid reader, was much more familiar with expressions of human innuendo and what Brett had just said was just...

"Brett... you ought to translate what you said into our wizardry language... just make sure you don't say stuff like that to me in front of other humans... please."

Brett blushed.

"OMG what I just said, I bet it's really bad, isn't it? What is it with humans and the humour they find in the lack of control of their wands ?!"

Eddy ended up bursting out laughing.

"OMG Brett, please stop. I'm gonna split my sides."

Brett dropped his shoulders.

"Now that's a weird expression, too. How do you learn all these phrases, Eddy? Geez, maybe I don't have what it takes to live in the human world..."

Eddy furrowed his brows.

"No, no, no, no, no Brett. We're gonna get this right and do this, okay?"

"Why Eddy? I suck at it so bad."

"No you don't. You just need little bit more time to learn this stuff. You and I, we are both gonna do this."

Brett groaned.

"So, Eddy, please, remind me why we are doing this?"

Eddy gave a wry smile.

"Because of me? For me?"

Brett groaned again.

Half muggles (half human half wizard) like Eddy were much more passionate and emotionally expressive than full wizards like Brett. Brett had no doubt that Eddy could've successfully had a romantic relationship with a human.

But Eddy was loyal to his childhood buddy Brett who he'd known since their wizard primary school days. Eddy's loyalty towards Brett, his inexplicable degree of dedication was always something that Brett felt he could never reciprocate in a way that Eddy could feel requited.

 ..Unless Brett learnt how to express himself like a human. He had an option to learn how to do this, by living in the human world as a human. It was Eddy who had initially suggested it. Brett exclaimed;

"But those guys.. humans.. they make things so complicated...!!"

Eddy gave a wry smile.

"Yeah, I know. It's frustrating and heart-aching and turns you into a blubbering mess. I've been told by my parents who went through it.

"...And you still want me to join you in this mess?"

Eddy replied shyly yet surely.

"Yes."

"You want it. All. Messy??"

"With you? Yes."

Brett sighed and shook his head.

"Eddy.. you're a smart human but as a wizard.. honestly..."

Eddy bit his lower lip and looked at Brett anxiously.

"But Brett...it's the humans' crazy illogicality that somehow makes the whole experience of falling in love so magical."

Brett looked up at Eddy.

"Magical? If you want magical I can give you magical, Eddy. Anytime."

Eddy shook his head.

"The humans do this falling in love magic without spells, Brett.. I find it fascinating. I can't imagine what it would be like to attain this without wizardry magic."

"Eddy.. are you even listening to yourself? You are basically saying that you want to do this without us using our wands."

Eddy wriggled his eyebrows.

"Brett, I didn't say I don't want wands, just no wizardry magic."

Brett furrowed his brows.

"I don't get it Eddy. What's the use of having dud wands that can't create magic ?

Eddy burst out laughing again.