170. Twoset Bedtime Story II

"Brett.. have you been lying about something?"

Brett flinched. Eddy saw Brett's delicate hands that were resting on the dooner (duvet) clench into shaking fists.

"Brett.. mate, you do realise you can tell me anything. If you've been lying about something and if that's been eating you up, you can tell me anything and I won't get mad, I promise."

"I.. I think I'm good now to go back to my own room.. thanks Eddy..."

"Brett...!!"

Eddy would have grabbed him but Brett was too quick to slip out of Eddy's bed and run out of his bedroom. After a few seconds, Eddy heard Brett slam his bedroom door shut. Of all the years Eddy had known Brett, he had never heard the older slam a door.

-----------------------------------------

Eddy sat on his bed staring at the empty space that had been occupied by his flatmate and best friend only seconds ago. Initially, Eddy thought Brett was going through some major mental issues, then Eddy had second thoughts and waited for Brett to burst out laughing for giving it such a "sAcRiLeGiOuS" analysis of the story. So naturally, Eddy freaked out internally when instead Brett went all quiet and teary, it really concerned him. Still, Eddy couldn't help but find Brett's intricate and somewhat jaded analysis of the story of the little boy who cried wolf very witty and amusing if it wasn't for Brett tearing up afterwards.

Eddy got out of bed and marched out of his bedroom.

Eddy knocked on Brett's bedroom door.

"Brett"

Silence. Eddy knocked again and called out.

"Brett, c'mon you're suffering from insomnia, I doubt you'd be asleep already. Can I come in?"

Eddy heard a faint groan, followed by a whisper.

"Yeah"

Eddy opened the bedroom door just enough to shove his hand through the gap.

"You forgot this."

"Oh.. thanks Eddy."

Moments later Eddy felt Brett tug on his pillow that Eddy had shoved through the small gap. Eddy let go. Eddy's fingers proceeded to do a little dance up and down the gap. His long fingers opened out wide then one by one his fingers would close into a fist then spread out one by one again and repeat as he flicked his wrist and moved his hand up and down the gap at the door. It then stopped.

"So Brett, did you want me to... go back to my room..?"

The hand suddenly wilted sadly and its index and middle fingers made a pair of legs, slowly walking away mid-air.

Eddy then felt a gentle pull on his hand.

"Eddy?"

"Y, yeah?"

"I don't wanna talk about stuff right now."

"Okay."

"I just want to try to sleep."

"Okay Brett, that's cool. It's okay..."

Saddened by the rejection, Eddy was about to pull his hand away.

Except Brett didn't let go.

"Do you wanna.. come in?"

Eddy raised an eyebrow behind the door.

"Yeah sure."

Eddy wasn't about to ask dumb questions and risk stopping whatever was going on.

Brett pulled open the door and saw Eddy standing with his pillow clutched under his arm. Brett also raised an eyebrow but must have settled on the don't ask dumb questions policy as well and he quietly let go of Eddy's hand and held onto his door with both hands so that the taller could enter the room.