115. Twoset Zookeeper IV

Zookeeper Brett's boyfriend Eddy was a violinist, a concertmaster of an orchestra. Brett loved classical music too and he would often come along to listen to Eddy's orchestral performances. Brett loved the whole atmosphere. But as much as he loved watching and listening to Eddy play, Brett also equally loved it when they got to go and watch a performance together.

"Brett, you were staring at me all through the concert. You're meant to be looking at the stage y'know."

Brett shrugged.

"...Just how did you know I was staring at you when you're supposed to be looking at the stage?"

"I can tell."

"Well, you're not supposed to!"

"But I did.... So why?"

"I just like watching you fascinated by the music. It's more iNtErEsTiNg to watch you than the stage."

"...Well, where do you look when I'm actually performing then?"

"Oh, in that case I'd only be looking at you, of course."

Eddy blushed.

"So Brett, maybe next time I could come along and watch you in your element ?"

"What do you mean?"

"What animal do you normally look after? Now I know it's not the bloody alpaca."

Brett giggled.

"No, it's definitely not that the bloody alpaca. Though the girl who looks after him is actually a really nice person. Dunno how she puts up with him."

"OMG"

"So, did you want to guess my animal? I've got quite a few to look after but you might enjoy watching me look after this one in particular.... I've recently been assigned to them and they're gorgeous."

"Hmm. I have absolutely no idea."

"May I have a map please?"

"Certainly. Is there anywhere, in particular, you'd like to visit today?"

"Yes, I'd like to go see the meerkats..."

"Okay. So their enclosure is right over here..."

Since Brett gifted an annual pass to Eddy for the zoo where he worked, Eddy's been a regular visitor.  In all reality though, he would stroll in to meet up with Brett at the café but hadn't really had much of an opportunity to look around, not since the first zoo date they had shortly after they first met months and months ago.

Eddy strolled over to the meerkat enclosure. He vaguely remembered seeing them before on his zoo date with Brett.  When he peered over his waist height concrete wall of the enclosure and cast a shadow over one of them, it quickly scuttled away into a tree log. Eddy felt bad for scaring the little fella. A young boy, a toddler arrived with his mother. He was trotting along, then placed his hands on the wall in an attempt to peer in. The mother arrived a few steps later, pushing along an empty pram. She picked up the little boy to let him have a better look. The next instant Eddy heard the boy burst into tears. Eddy looked up at the mother and child to see what happened.

"He dropped his favourite red car..."

"Oh no. ...um.. let me call the zookeeper.."

Eddy got out his phone and dialled Brett.

"..Eddy? You're here now ?"

"Yeah. Um, I know I'm early but can you or someone come out here? A little boy dropped a toy in the enclosure."