126. Twoset Firefighters XII / Competitors X Mashup VII

Firefighter Eddy ran after Firefighter Brett;

"Brett...!!"

"Just leave me alone Eddy....!!"

"Brett!! OFFS slow down!!"

Eddy grabbed Brett by his shoulder.

"Mate, just stop!! Just stop and rest for a bit. C'mon, you can barely walk straight yet...!!"

Brett finally stopped. Eddy gilded him to sit on a nearby bench. Brett eventually sat down, put his head in his hands and gave out an exasperated sigh.

"...F*ck... I shouldn't have enrolled in this stupid class..."

Eddy placed his palm on Brett's back. He remembered the Zookeeper Brett appreciated this when he got distressed due to his fear of heights and Eddy hoped it would be effective to calm this Brett down, too.

"Really, Brett? For what it's worth, I was glad you enrolled me. I thought it's been quite interesting. I mean, you've done great in the class. You learnt heaps of new stuff and you even said you discovered something you could improve upon.. for my sake, yeah? That you'd strengthen up so that you could carry me. Aren't you always like that? You always try to learn stuff and gain something from everything you do. I respect that. Besides, I think it was worthwhile just for meeting another set of doppelgangers."

Brett still had his face covered with his hands.

"..You recogn?"

"Yeah... look Brett, have you thought about why we keep meeting these doppelgangers as a set of a Brett and an Eddy? Don't you think there's a good reason for that?"

Brett peered at Eddy through the gap of his fingers.

"...What do you mean?"

"Well... these two.. us two... ...are obviously compatible wherever they are and in whatever profession they're in, otherwise, we wouldn't be meeting them as a set, would we?"

Brett pulled his face away from his hands and looked at Eddy.

"...I never thought about that.. I suppose..."

"I mean, we're kinda tight too, aren't we?"

"..Tight?"

"We've been working partners for years, Brett. And not just as conventional colleagues but we trust each other with our lives... that's pretty tight."

Brett shrugged.

"..Yeah, I suppose."

"What, ain't that enough?"

Brett closed his eyes.

"It should be, Eddy."

"Should?"

"Yeah, it should."

"But it's not?"

Brett bit his lower lip.

"F*ck Eddy, I'm such an ars*hole."

Eddy smirked.

"Brett, I thought I was the ars*hole. You called me one."

Brett dropped his shoulders.

"Look, I'm sorry I did Eddy... It's just that I thought you were getting a kick out of gloating to that other Brett about me."

Eddy furrowed his brows.

"Gloat? Gloat about what?"

Brett opened his eyes.

"....that I'm crazy about you."

Eddy's reply was immediate.

"I wouldn't be gloating about that Brett.. I'd be humbled and honoured if you were crazy about me."