41. Twoset Competitors

Brett called out to a group of martial artists.

"Hi I'm here for the competition, does anyone have some tiger balm?"

"Sure I've got some, here."

A young man reached out to Brett's martial arts uniform and tugged on his white sleeve. When he let go, Brett noticed his sleeve was smeared with what looked like blood.

The young man looked at his work admiringly as he vocalised his concern in a sarcastic tone. 

"Oh no, it looks like you've bled."

A young female who was standing nearby smirked and also made a snide comment in a sickly sweet voice.

"You do realise that bleeders are disqualified immediately?"

"Hey, that is not okay..!"

The three turned around. A tall young man had raised his voice.

"What was that stuff you put on his uniform ?"

The culprit replied with a smirk.

"...Dude, chill. It's just a dye that looks like blood."

"Well you better come with me and explain that to the head judge."

Unfazed, the culprit continued to smirk and verbally challenge the other young man;

"And what if I don't want to ?"

"...Are you telling me that I have to force you to come with me?"

Brett placed his hand on the taller young man's shoulder.

"It's okay."

"No, it's not. This behaviour is appalling. He doesn't deserve to compete."

The young tall man looked genuinely upset.

Brett smiled.

"Look, I appreciate you standing up for me but you don't have to worry."

"Well, do you have another uniform to change into ? Look, I have a spare one you can wear? And I also have some Tiger balm if you still need some of that."

Brett smiled again.

"In fact, I do have another uniform, I'll go and get changed now. By the way, I'm Brett. What's your name?"

"Eddy."

"Well, good luck with the competition, Eddy. I'll see you later."

"Lining up!!!"

The competition commenced.

"Will all competitors stand in attention as we greet our panel of referees which consist of our most senior black belts"

Eddy was standing in the front row as a black belt and was still seething with anger from the stunt a fellow blackbelt pulled before. The young man stood smugly next to him. He could not believe someone at his rank would behave so appallingly. The girl with him was also a blackbelt and Eddy thought she was revolting too. Eddy made a mental note to find out which dojo (training centre) they were from and report them. He tried to calm down by deciding to focus on the faces of the judges as they entered the hall in their formal black uniform.

The first judge to enter the hall in his formal all black uniform, the most senior chief instructor, was Brett.

Eddy opened his eyes wide while he heard the young man next to him gasp.

After the panel of judges entered and stood in front of the hall, Brett was given the microphone.

"Thank you for having us at your competition.  I look forward to seeing a fair competition, beautiful technique and great sportsmanship."