66. Twoset Clairvoyants

"Brett."

"Eddy."

Without further words, Brett picked up the remote and turned on the TV.

"Thanks."

Eddy turned to the side table and grabbed a tissue and handed it to Brett.

"Here mate."

"What's this for... AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHCHOOOO"

Eddy cringed.

"That."

Brett sniffled.

"F*ck, you're too good."

"Shhhhh it's started."

The missing toddler Brad Smith, 2 years old, had gone on a picnic with his parents and seemed to have strayed from the picnic area onto a bushwalking path at around 11:15 this morning.

If strayed from the bushwalking path, the area has very dense foliage, due to the heavy rain followed by the warm weather and temperatures today may reach up to 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit) thanks to an early arrival of summer.  This is a major concern for the toddler who would not have had any food or drink with him when he strayed....

Eddy squeezed his head with the palm of his hands on his temples.

"F*ck."

"You see him already ?!"

"He's... down."

"Sh*t, dead..? Hang on, I'm there too."

They both went silent for a while.

Brett let out a sigh of relief as he exclaimed.

"Oh my f*cking god Eddy, don't do that. He's breathing !!! He's just sleeping!!"

Eddy shrugged apologetically.

"Sorry.  I'm faster but I lack detail. So...where is it?"

"Can you find out? I'm trying to check his vitals."

"Damn Brett. That's just wow - I dunno how you can do that. OK, I'm almost there..."

"...Okay, Eddy, the kid has a hat on and is wearing a thin jacket. He could overheat but at least he's being sun smart. He'll be dehydrated when we get to him..."

"Can 2 year olds drink from a normal water bottle?"

"Sh*t Eddy, I dunno. I'm a f*cking clairvoyant, not a child care worker."

"Ugh. Fine, I'll pack a plastic cup and a straw."

"How're you gonna explain having those things with you?"

"...I don't wanna share my bottle with you. ...And I have sensitive teeth."

"Sounds good enough for me."

Eddy zipped up his backpack after packing it with some snacks, a plastic cup, a straw, a couple of water bottles and their first aid kit. He then handed a red walkie talkie to Brett.

"Here, you better take this. I made sure it had working batteries in it this time."

"Thanks... thank goodness they didn't check last time. It would've looked too suss if we had told them we communicated on the walkie talkie when it didn't even have frickin' batteries in them!!"

"We only have to say that if our phone goes out of range. This track should still give us a reception in that family picnic area."

"OK, let's go."