96. Twoset Cleaner

A/N:  Not to be confused with "Twoset Window Cleaner", this is a separate story.

---------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Brett."

"Hi Eddy, how have you been ?"

"Oh, okay, how about you?"

Brett and Eddy exchanged their usual greetings as Brett entered Eddy's flat with his cleaning equipment.

"Good thanks. Hey, your gardener put one of your bins in an awkward spot, it made it a pain to park my car in the visitor's parking."

"Really? Not again! I noticed it happen a few days ago and the day before yesterday as well. Hmm.. I'm sorry about that, I'll give the building manager a call."

"Yeah. Look, I just got out of my car and rolled the bin back where it's meant to be, but yeah, it might be worth mentioning."

"Okay, thanks for letting me know."

"So, Eddy, anything unusual or particularly messy bits? Otherwise, I'll just start from the bathroom as usual?"
"Yeah, nothing unusual. Thanks."

Brett's been Eddy's weekly cleaner for about 6 months now. Eddy was one of Brett's best customers because he was neat and his flat really didn't need a regular cleaner in Brett's mind, but it made his job at Eddy's a very easy one which he was happy to attend to.

"Um.. Eddy, I'm sorry to interrupt you but..?"

It was unusual for Brett to strike up a conversation with Eddy while he was still cleaning. Eddy was working on his laptop but stopped typing and looked up from his screen.

"Yes, Brett?"

"Look, um, this is completely outside my speciality as a cleaner, but..."

"...yes?"

"And I know this is completely none of my business, but..."

"...What is it ?"

"Did you recently break up with somebody?"

Huh?!

"Um...no...? What makes you say that?"

"...your door scope is missing."

"...my what?"

"...your peephole in your front door... I was about to polish it.. but the part has been taken out. Come and have a look."

"..what the..??"

Eddy got up from his chair and followed Brett over to the front door of his flat.  He looked at where Brett was pointing on the door where his peephole was.

"OMG you're right.. I wonder how long it's been like that."

"The thing is Eddy, it must have happened within the week because I swear it wasn't like that when I was here to clean your flat last week."

"...Do you always clean my door scope every time you come here ?"

"Yeah. See, your flat is so clean to start off with, so I try to do a few extra things I otherwise don't get around doing for other flats that need more work. I've always given your door scope a clean every time I'm here."

"Hmm.... So.. why did you think I had broken up with somebody?"

"Well.. I don't want to alarm you but I thought perhaps you did and this person is stalking you or something..?"

"Oh."

"Otherwise I dunno which is worse but it could be some random person that fancies you?"

Eddy scoffed awkwardly.

"Oh c'mon, as if."

"Eddy, I don't know why you could dismiss that possibility."

Eddy furrowed his brows as he looked at Brett's serious expression. When their eyes met, Brett blushed and looked away. Eddy kept looking at his cleaner's face. His facial expression momentarily went deadpan serious then he jolted as if he was stung by something as he yelped.

"OMG."

"Brett..??"

"OMG Eddy."

"What? What is it?"

"The bin...!!"

"...What about the bin?"

Brett suddenly grabbed Eddy's arm.

"Eddy.. please come with me, I have to show you something."

Huh!?

Brett started tugging Eddy's arm. Eddy quickly grabbed his keys from the kitchen bench as he followed Brett out his front door, down the flight of stairs and outside the block of his unit. Brett kept pulling on Eddy's arm as he hurried towards the visitors' car park where his car was parked. The bins were nearby in their designated area.

Brett finally turned around to face Eddy. He then pointed upwards with his finger.

"Eddy, is that your bedroom window?"

Eddy looked up. His flat was on the first floor (above the ground floor).

"Yes."

"OMFG."

"What ?!?! What's the big deal??"

Brett ran to the bins and grabbed one and dragged it over. He was out of breath by the time he placed it in front of Eddy who looked very confused.

"Eddy... I don't think..I'm tall enough.. but.. I.. think if it was..someone as.. tall as you..."

"OMG Brett, calm down, will you please slow down??"

"I think the bin was put here so that someone could have a look at you in your bedroom."

"OH F*CK."