101. Twoset Manga-ka V

A/N: 20210526 Total Lunar Eclipse tonight !!

_____________________________

Manga artist Brett and his assistant Eddy had just finished another piece of work together and managed to send it off to Brett's editor on time for its deadline.  They both gave out a sigh of relief when the confirmation of receipt of their work came in as email, giving off the familiar chime of Brett's email notification.

It was still early in the evening.

"So, Brett."

"Yes, Eddy?"

"Um, it's about the moon."

"OMG no."

They recently had an awkward episode of Eddy commenting how beautiful the moon was, which inadvertently told Brett that he loved him.  As awkward and embarrassing as it was for Eddy, somehow Brett was the one who panicked and spun out of orbit more than Eddy did.

"Oh, no, Brett, look, I didn't mean to..."

"Look, Eddy, I shouldn't have over-reacted but..."

"OMG, look, I just wanted to say that there's a total lunar eclipse tonight..."

Brett looked instantly more relaxed.

"Oh.  Okay...  a total lunar eclipse, hey?"

"Yeah."

"Um.. so, Eddy, how does that work again?"

Eddy grabbed the sketchbook that was recently gifted to him from Brett. He drew 3 circles from left to right, large, medium and small.

"Okay Brett, so here's the Sun, Earth, then the moon. And Australia is gonna be riiiiight here tonight, facing away from the Sun and facing the moon. Now, since the moon has to reflect the sunlight in order to be seen and so if the Earth blocks the sunlight you can't see it at all when it completely ends up in its shadow. During the lunar eclipse, the full moon will gradually chip away and completely disappear, well.. at least go really dark, only to gradually reappear as a full moon later.

Now usually it takes 28 days to see all this, which is the time the moon takes to go around the Earth, yeah?

Well, tonight we'll get to see all this happen within a course of 3 hours or so because of how everything is positioned...."

"OMG Eddy...."

"What?"

"...How do you know all this?"

Eddy shrugged.

"I learnt it at school, like in Year 7 science or something."

"How the heck do you remember stuff you learnt in Year 7!?"

"Don't you?"

"I remember drawing 2 point perspective drawings in Year 7 art class, does that count?"

Eddy smiled.  Of course they would've both remembered lessons from their favourite subject, art.

"Yeah, of course it does. I remember doing those, too. I just so happen to like science as well."

"Man, that was hella impressive."

Eddy picked up his phone.

"...Okay, I'm just looking this up... tonight's full moon is gonna start gradually thinning away from around 7:45pm and the totality is at 9:11pm.. that's when you won't be able to see it... well actually it will be really dark red.. the blood moon... and it'll be like that for about 15 minutes.. till 9:26pm, then we'll see it reappear again... ending with a returned view of the full moon at 10:52pm."

"Wow, okay, so we just have to keep ducking out onto the veranda to check on the moon."

"Yeah, or we could just look out the window."

Eddy grinned and pointed at the full moon outside the window that he was able to observe from the sofa where they sat.

"Humph. True. Okay, so how about we go organise some dinner delivery and keep an eye on the moon till it gets InTeReStInG??"

"Sounds like a plan Brett."

They stepped outside onto the veranda after placing their dinner orders. The full moon had risen up into the clear night sky.

"Wow, Brett, check it out, it's a supermoon, a large full moon, closer to Earth than usual."

And then, Eddy just couldn't help himself.

"Brett, ...it's so beautiful."

Brett flinched. He turned to Eddy and exclaimed.

"OMG Eddy, will ya stop it !!!!"

This beautiful moon comment seems to trigger him so badly. Brett's blush was evident even under the moonlight. He ran back into the living room, leaving Eddy on the balcony.

Eddy obviously just couldn't help himself and he let a little cheeky grin escape his lips.  He will only panic a moment later when he noticed that Brett had locked him out on the balcony as punishment....!!