86. Twoset Dentist

Eddy was shown into the dental surgery room by the dental nurse.

"Please take a seat. So you wrote on our questionnaire that you haven't been to a dentist in a while and you're a bit nervous..? Would you like me to put some music on for you?"

"Thank you. Um.. yes, please. Do you have any classical music?"

"Sure , I'll play our classical song list."

Eddy ever so slightly raised his eyebrow but decided not to say anything.

"The dentist will be with you shortly."

Eddy tried to relax into his dental chair as he waited for the first classical piece to play... which was of course Pachelbel Canon in D Major.

F*ck, this is making me even tenser.

"Hi... Eddy Chen?"

A young Asian man in a labcoat wearing a mask had entered the room and peered over Eddy.

"Yes. Hi."

"Hi, I'm Brett, your dentist."

"Hi Brett."

"So it says here on your chart that it's been a while since you've been to a dentist?"

"Um.. yeah. I hope I don't get into trouble for that. No offence but dentists make me a bit nervous."

"None taken, we get that a lot. Hey, the fact that you are here now is a good thing. Let's check your teeth and make sure you can minimise your visits while keeping them in good condition, yeah?"

"Um.. ok."

"Okay, so since you wrote that you get a bit nervous, I brought you this."

Brett handed Eddy a soft toy elephant.

"...What's this for?"

"It's for you to cuddle during treatment. If you feel any discomfort, just give it a squeeze."

"O...kay..? What would that do..?"

"Oh, it will make a little squeaky noise. See?"

Brett reached out and squeezed the elephant and it let out a little squeak.

"...So if I make a noise you'll stop your drilling and jack-hammering?"

"Oh, no, I'll just keep on drilling and jack-hammering, but at least this way you can express your dissatisfaction."

Oh my f*cking god.

Eddy recoiled in horror and let his elephant squeak.

Brett smiled.

"I'm sorry, I'm kidding. Yes, I will stop and make sure you're ok, I promise. I also promise I won't be drilling or jack-hammering today, Okay? So, shall we get started?"

"Um.. before we do, I'm really sorry but are you able to skip this piece that's playing right now? It's actually making me tense."

"Oh my god seriously !? Oh thank goodness, thank you, thank you. Terence, would you please skip this piece. Oh my god the number of times I have to listen to this piece... And some clients want this LOOPED...!!"

It was actually the display of Brett's displeasure towards the overplayed Pachelbel Canon in D Major that made Eddy chuckle and relax a bit.

Eddy only squeaked the elephant once while he had his teeth cleaned.

"...Okay.. You have no cavities and you brush well. I think we are done...! Well done, Eddy you've been such a good boy.. oops sorry, I see the elephant in my peripheral vision and I start talking to you as if you're a 6 year old."