32. Twoset MMA II

A/N: MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts.  In this episode, Brett and Eddy are martial arts instructors, trying to be good samaritans.  There is another episode about them in Chapter 1 of this book.

----------------------------------

"That was a great training session Eddy, you hungry?"

"Yeah. I'm starving."

"Likewise. Let's grab some dinner."

"Sure, what'd'ya want?"

"I'd like some...Eddy."

Eddy's heart stopped.

Say what ?

"Brett??"

"Did you hear that?"

Oh

"Hear what ?"

Now both of them heard the scream.

"That !!!!"

The two ran into the park towards the harbour where they heard the scream.

They saw a young woman, crying out for help. She saw the two men enter the park towards her and she reached out to them. Brett reached her first. She grabbed onto his arms.

"Please help him, he's hurt badly, please..."

Brett saw behind the woman, a group of people, maybe 4 of them, towering over a man who was lying on the ground.

"Eddy... call the police and an ambulance and stay with her. Keep her out of sight, yeah?"

"Mate... don't you want me to go with you.."

"It's okay.. I'm less threatening..."

Brett walked up towards the group of people.

They were 4 of them. One of them had a broken bottle in his hand.

Then Brett had a closer look at the man on the ground. He must have been struck by the bottle as the side of his head was covered in blood.  It made Brett feel sick.

The man with the bottle called out to Brett.

"What do you want?"

".. Look, I just want to help that guy."

I don't want to fight.

"Why don't you just mind your own business ?"

"I just want to help that guy. Please."

Please, I don't want to fight.

"Back off!!"

"I'm not a threat. Please, I just want to help that guy."

Please, I don't want to fight. Please.

The 4 men started to walk towards Brett. Brett also kept walking towards them. Very slowly, Brett brought his left hand up and gently tapped his face with his fingers, around his nose, cheek and mouth, as if he had an itch. He wanted to keep his hand up there near his face in case the guy decided to strike him with the bottle. His right hand, he kept down by his hips, opened towards the men to show he was empty-handed.

Then they heard the sound of an ambulance approaching. Brett prayed it was the one that Eddy called for the injured man on the ground.

Upon hearing the sound of the ambulance, the man dropped the bottle and the men quickened their pace. As the men and Brett walked past each other, the man who had the bottle gave Brett a shove. He was a big guy, taller than Eddy. Brett could've completely dodged him but didn't want to set him off either.  He let himself collide a little and made himself look like he was pushed slightly off the path.  Brett wasn't as concerned as before since the glass bottle was now out of the guy's hand.  Brett's little wobble It seemed to have satisfied the guy as he scoffed at Brett and the group left the park by running up the pathway. Brett quickly turned around to make sure Eddy and the young woman were not in their way. Eddy must have anticipated this and had hidden himself and the girl behind the trees on the side of the path.

Once the men were gone, Brett sprinted to the man on the ground to check his injuries. Eddy came running over with their bags and the girl following him.

"Eddy, hand me my towel!"

Brett called the girl who said she was the injured man's girlfriend.

"Keep this towel firmly on this head, okay? He will probably need stitches but he said he's been conscious all along which is good news. The blood looks a bit scary but try to reassure him, okay?"

Brett looked up. He noticed the paramedics were arriving at the end of the park.

"Eddy, let's go."

Brett got up and grabbed Eddy's arm and pulled him up. Eddy had no choice but to run with him out of the park.

"Brett? Why did we run?"

"He was conscious. She'd be a better witness. I barely gave any first aid. I didn't want to spend the next 3 hours answering questions."

"I think you did plenty. Imagine what could have happened to her and the guy if we didn't show up. I thought that guy was gonna strike you with that broken bottle, it was scary."

"Yeah, it was pretty intense. I'm glad it didn't end up like that"

Brett and Eddy proceeded to enjoy some noodles at one of their favourite Chinese noodles shop for dinner. The radio in the shop was on.

"..News just in, a 25 year old man was assaulted with a strike to the head by a glass bottle near the harbour, the Queensland police are looking for a young man, an eye witness says he left the park as the paramedics and police arrived, described as an 18 to 24 year old, South East Asian male, medium height and medium build, dark frame glasses, by the name of possibly Eddy."

Both Brett and Eddy nearly choked on their noodles.

"Oh my god they got our names mixed up, because you kept calling my name !!!"

"Oh for f*ck sake, I'm 28"

"Oh mu f*cking god Brett, that should be the least of your concerns !!"

Brett shrugged.

"You're right. I better go to the police station after this."

"Look Brett I'll come with you, if another witness, or that girl tells the police that there were two of us, I'm gonna end up on the wanted list too if I don't show."