124. Twoset Firefighters X / Competitors VIII Mashup V

Instructor Brett with his wrist held by Firefighter Eddy continued;

"So what's important here is speed. Speed to respond before Eddy gets a tight grip. If Eddy does get me, then I'll have to respond quickly and surprise him with something that would make him want to loosen his grip..."

Instructor Brett slowly demonstrated some of the counter-attack options available; from striking the back of Eddy's hand with his knuckles to palm striking him in the face.

"Okay, I won't actually demonstrate this on you Eddy, I'll get my training partner Eddy instead."

Firefighter Eddy stepped away and Instructor Eddy stepped in front of Instructor Brett.

Instructor Brett froze as he stared at Instructor Eddy.

"How strange... it felt like the same person just stepped back in..."

The whole group laughed at that comment except for the two Eddys.

It was their second water break time. Firefighter Brett wiped his sweat with his towel as he spoke to Firefighter Eddy who was taking a swig from his water bottle.

"OMG Eddy did you see how that smaller instructor just chucked the big guy over his shoulder..."

"IKR. I dunno whether I should be more impressed how the smaller guy was able to do that or whether the fact that the big guy was slammed onto the wooden floor and managed not to injure himself...!!"

"Yeah.. they taught us how to 'break fall' like that but I don't see myself being able to do that anytime soon, especially on the hard wooden floor like that...!!"

"I suppose everything needs pRaCtIcE..!!!"

"Brett.. what did you mean when you said it was as if the same person walked back in again when that firefighter Eddy and I swapped."

"Eddy... I felt you guys have the same presence.. or aura. It was the strangest thing..."

"Presence? Aura? Now that is certainly interesting..."

"They're just words Eddy.. I meant you guys had the same feel... if you get what I mean. Never mind, I'm getting a drink."

Instructor Brett stepped out and headed towards the bubbler. Firefighter Eddy was refilling his bottle.

".. Hey Eddy. I couldn't get the other Eddy to agree with me but I recogn you have a very similar presence or aura as my martial arts partner."

Firefighter Eddy looked up from his water bottle towards Instructor Brett.

"Hi Brett. That's the first time someone had ever said something like that to me."

Instructor Brett smirked.

"I suppose it's not every day you meet your doppelganger."

"No, I suppose not. So..which one of you has a crush on the other with you two?"

Instructor Brett raised an eyebrow.

"...I beg your pardon ??"

"Oh.. um.. never mind."

"Hang on. Eddy? What exactly did you mean?"

"Well... if you have no idea what I'm talking about, I can only assume it's the Eddy that is crushing on you."

"I don't understand.. what's going on with you two then?"

"Well... I was told from another set of doppelgangers that my Brett has a crush on me.. actually, in our case, I think it's more than a crush.."

"What..?? Meaning ??"

Firefighter Eddy fidgeted uncomfortably.

"I.. was sort of told that he's kinda.. OMG this is so weird for me to say it.. um. .that he's crazy about me."

Instructor Brett's other eyebrow went up.

"Interesting. So who exactly told you this?"

Firefighter Eddy recalled Zookeeper Brett stammering his thoughts about the likelihood of Firefighter Brett being crazy about his colleague.

"My.. I mean our doppelgangers... this other set of Brett and Eddy that were a couple."

"Hmm, how strange. So you think my Eddy.. hah that's a weird way to say it... he has a crush on me?"

"Perhaps. Unless you have a crush on him?"

Instructor Brett went silent for a while. His facial expression; his signature deadpan.

"..Well what about you, Eddy? Do you love your Brett back?"

Firefighter Eddy smirked.

"Brett, you don't wear your heart on your sleeve much, do you? And I actually know about your deadpan and what you try to hide with it."

"Funny you say that Eddy because that's the exact impression I get of you. I think us two are more similar to each other than our doppelgangers in that regard."

"Okay, Brett fine. Well, yeah, I like him already."

This time it was Instructor Brett that smirked.

"Oh c'mon Eddy, you dodged answering that one big time. As if your Brett's gonna be happy with that!!"

"Brett's gonna be happy with what?"

Instructor Brett and Firefighter Eddy turned around and saw Firefighter Brett.

"Brett... Mate, It's nothing."

"I'd really like to know, Eddy.  Or would you care to elaborate instead then, Brett?"

Instructor Brett bit his lower lip.

"Brett.. I don't think I'm in a position to comment."

Firefighter Brett glared at Instructor Brett.

"..then why did you make a comment to my colleague Eddy about me in the first place?"

"Point taken. Please accept my apology."

Instructor Brett walked away, leaving the two Firefighters at the water bubbler.

Firefighter Brett turned to his colleague.

"Eddy..?"

Firefighter Eddy remained silent.

"Eddy... dammit you f*ckin' ars*hole...!!"

Firefighter Brett walked off, leaving his colleague Eddy by the water bubbler on his own.