164. La Mort meets Guardian V

A/N: This is the 7th chapter of this series. The previous chapters are;

158. Twoset La Mort

159. Twoset Guardian

160. La Mort meets Guardian

161. La Mort meets Guardian II

162. La Mort meets Guardian III

163. La Mort meets Guardian IV

-------------------------------------------

"..Hello..?"

"Eddy! Please don't hang up."

Eddy hung up. He then cursed under his breath.

His phone immediately rang again.

Eddy let out a sigh of relief as he answered.

"Brett"

"Eddy, please, stay on the line...!"

"..Okay, okay. I'm sorry, Brett. It was just a reflex. Honest."

Brett sighed in relief.

"So.. how are you. Eddy?"

"I'm okay. Joel sent me the final design for my outfit last week. I loved it. I can't wait till it's ready next week."

"Yeah? That's great! You're gonna look so good in it. I can't wait to see it on you. ...You will let me see you in it, won't you Eddy? As in, you will see me again?"

Eddy bit his lower lip.

"Eddy.. You haven't answered any of my texts for more than a week."

"I'm sorry.."

"...Am I too fugly."

Eddy stammered.

"N, No..! Of course you're not fugly."

"I'm really sorry I scared you, Eddy."

"It's just that.. I've been too embarrassed to speak to you."

Brett went silent on the other end of the line. Had they been on a video chat, Eddy would've seen Brett sigh in relief, followed by his ridiculously giddy grin, highly unsuitable to a grim reaper.

"Eddy, you're not the first one to freak out seeing my death stare. It's a look only my colleagues could tolerate and I don't mean to toot my horn too loud but I've won Death Stare of the Year, 5 years running since I started."

"..It's just that I felt so stupid afterwards. For crying like a baby. And when we were having bubble tea beforehand, for giving you my pathetic death stare. No wonder you called it adorable. I even dared you to show me how it was really done. Thank goodness you didn't in the bubble tea shop..!"

"Eddy, we were flirting over bubble tea. I loved your death stare. It wasn't pathetic. Okay, so on the Official GRS, the Grim Reaper Scale, you probably wouldn't even pass grade one, I'm sorry. But you're not meant to give death stares in your line of work and I honestly did find it adorable. I mean imagine how emasculated I'd feel had you, an angel, I mean, a guardian, gave a death stare like mine. And now I'm worried you think I'm too f*cking ugly to date."

"I already told you I don't think you're fugly."

"Besides, most who've seen me like that either pass out or soil themselves. You've done neither. You ought to be proud of yourself."