25. Twoset Teachers V (Viola Vexation 2)

It was 4:30 pm in the teachers' lounge and the only two who were left were Brett and Eddy, both young teachers, particularly Eddy who was in his first year of teaching.

"Brett."

"Hey Eddy."

"I need to tell you a story."

"Oh goodie, lemme get myself a coffee."

"Here, you can have this one. No, I don't want one. I'll be busy talking anyway."

"Okay... thanks. ... So, what's up?"

Eddy raised an eyebrow.

"...aren't you going to ask me what I have done now?"

Brett grinned and rephrased his question to how he usually started.

"So Eddy, what have you done now?"

"Nothing, I swear. I don't cause trouble, trouble just finds me!"

"OK, so, Brett, remember the other day I told you about the two Year 11 boys, Brad Yang and John Smith fighting ?"

"Sure. Boy that was a mess, but it eventually got sorted, right? "

"Yeah. And I just found out how it all started."

"Oh my god, please, do tell."

"So Brett, I told you I had a bit of soft spot for Brad, right? I dunno what it is, could be how we share the same ethnic background or the fact that he kinda reminds me of someone.. Anyway, turns out there is more to bad boy Brad than what meets the eye. He's on a scholarship."

Brett stopped sipping his coffee and removed his lips from his mug.

"No way, Eddy, which one?"

"Musical "

Brett snorted.

"Oh c'mon, no way."

"Yes way. Turns out he is quite talented."

"Well yeah, I'd expect him to be if he bagged our musical scholarship..?? To be honest, we have a nice music program but not much talent, we're quite desperate for it."

Eddy grinned.

"Now here's the corker, Brett. Guess his instrument."

"...viola?"

Their least favourite instrument.

"Haha very funny."

"Well, how the heck am I supposed to know?"

Eddy wriggled his eyebrows.

Brett's jaw dropped.

"...No. C'mon, Eddy, no way."

"Yes way."

"Violin?"

Brett nodded.

Their favourite instrument.

"First violin?"

"Oh c'mon, Brett, he's the scholarship recipient. Try school string ensemble concertmaster."

"Oh no, no, no, no, no, nooooooooo!! That's bullsh*t. I've never seen the guy in the orchestra!"

"Those were my exact thoughts, too! But maybe we never recognised him because it's the only time he will take that camo hoodie off and wear a band uniform? Besides, he rarely attends band practice. Apparently, he's in the Queensland Youth Orchestra and he's too busy with that. So he only comes along to rehearse with the school ensemble a couple of times at best before a school performance."